Florida Vacation

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida Vacation

Old 05-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Spike

Default Florida Vacation

Heading to Pensacola May 29 thru June 5
wondering about places to eat and things to do any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
we have a 4 year old and a 6 year old so any cool kid stuff would be nice
I found out after we booked about the gay rally oh well we will stay close to the condo the first weekend

thanks
Jon
Old 05-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Florida Vacation

Pencecola has a great Navy musuem and of coarse lots of beaches. The fishing is great if you want to charter a boat or go on a party boat. I haven't spent anytime there in years so can't recomend any resteraunts but there are all kinds of things for the kids.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:47 AM

My wife and I vacation in that area every year.

The Navy Air Museum is fanstastic (and it's free, too, believe it or not). I'm kind of an "airplane guy" but even my wife enjoyed it, and to her all airplanes look pretty much the same.

Where we actually stay is Perdido Key, a few minutes from Pensacola. It's very family-oriented; not a lot of bars or drunk topless college girls (sigh), just a lot of sand, water, and pelicans. There's a nice State Park there with public beach access, so you don't have to risk sneaking onto some condo's private section of beachfront! (http://www.floridastateparks.org/perdidokey/default.asp)

Perdido Key is also right on the Alabama state line; cross that and you get to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, which have a lot of things like miniature golf and souvenir shops. (If you're a lousy golfer, like me, there's a par-3 course in Magnolia Springs, Alabama that charges about $12 per *day*, and it's a lot of fun. I did the course 3 times. Some guys ahead of me did 6 laps around it.) The outlet mall in Foley, Alabama, is about the nicest one we've ever been to. And if you've never had satsumas, be sure to get some if they're ripe yet. Yum.

Out on the beaches, there are lots of places to eat, so a lot depends on the kind of food you like and how much you're looking to spend. There are lots (and lots) of shrimp shacks, and just about any of them will be pretty good and pretty cheap, though they're probably not much to look at. The Outrigger, in Orange Beach, has a cheap lunch that's pretty good, and the view is fantastic--right on the water. On the other hand, Innerarity Point Seafood, in Perdido Key, has no view at all, but some great seafood.

Here's a site for some local information: http://www.perdidochamber.com/todo.html

Let me know what kind of experience you're looking to have, and I'll see what other suggestions I can come up with. We mostly go just for the sun, sand, and water. (We'll be arriving there just as you're leaving.)

It's a fun place to visit; if you have half as much fun as we do, you're in for a treat!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:34 PM

sounds like M&M has you fixed right up.
hope you enjoy our fair state."enjoy"have fun.

DON'T FORGET THE SUN SCREEN
Old 05-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

and skeeter spray ya'll have fun