Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Hope to visit family in SC early Dec - what is there to do for a Northern Redneck? >

Hope to visit family in SC early Dec - what is there to do for a Northern Redneck?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hope to visit family in SC early Dec - what is there to do for a Northern Redneck?

Old 10-17-2023, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hope to visit family in SC early Dec - what is there to do for a Northern Redneck?

I have a Sister in-law that lives near Savanna Georgia in NC. She has been after us for years to come visit. Finally, the Wife and I are headed down for a visit in early December. The girls are going shopping and my Brother in-law is an avid Golfer, which is not my cup of tea. I do not want to sit around and do nothing.

As an avid hunter, trapper and fisherman from Northern Ontario, what is there for me to do in that area that time of year in that part of the country? With non resident hunting permits and firearms issues crossing the border, I have pretty much crossed that off my list - unfortunately.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2023, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muskyhunter1
I have a Sister in-law that lives near Savanna Georgia in NC. She has been after us for years to come visit. Finally, the Wife and I are headed down for a visit in early December. The girls are going shopping and my Brother in-law is an avid Golfer, which is not my cup of tea. I do not want to sit around and do nothing.

As an avid hunter, trapper and fisherman from Northern Ontario, what is there for me to do in that area that time of year in that part of the country? With non resident hunting permits and firearms issues crossing the border, I have pretty much crossed that off my list - unfortunately.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Research places to hunt wild boar near where you are going to be staying.
Old 10-17-2023, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

My daughter & son-in-law are currently in Beaufort, SC (aka the off-base military housing for Parris Island, US Marine Corps). What do you want to know? Both my wife and I have been down there (7 hour drive from Richmond, straight down 95) many times.

December? Ontario, Canada vs southern SC/GA seacoast border. Okay....
No snow.
No alligators (they migrate further south to warmer waters).
The best activity would either be waterfowling, or salt water fishing off the piers.
Old 10-18-2023, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

Oldtmr - Unless I have a place for hogs and hunting permits lined up, ATF would likely not let me have a permit to bring a gun across the border. My sister in-law is going to ask a few people around there what is available for hog hunting, maybe with a bow, Several years ago I took a hog with a knife in Texas. That was a hoot, but I think I am getting too old for that now lol.

ButchA - I would love Waterfowl but unfortunately that involves permits to bring a gun across the US border. Fishing the ocean sounds like a lot of fun though. Is there any catfish opportunities down that way? Always wanted to hook onto one of those big cats, even if it is catch and release.

Thanks for the advice lads.
Old 01-07-2024, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muskyhunter1
Oldtmr - Unless I have a place for hogs and hunting permits lined up, ATF would likely not let me have a permit to bring a gun across the border. My sister in-law is going to ask a few people around there what is available for hog hunting, maybe with a bow, Several years ago I took a hog with a knife in Texas. That was a hoot, but I think I am getting too old for that now lol.

ButchA - I would love Waterfowl but unfortunately that involves permits to bring a gun across the US border. Fishing the ocean sounds like a lot of fun though. Is there any catfish opportunities down that way? Always wanted to hook onto one of those big cats, even if it is catch and release.

Thanks for the advice lads.
Check your PM box.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Oldtimr.

In comparison for an outdoor type, PA is the place to be.

Cheers,