Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VA-Where are we seein' um? >

VA-Where are we seein' um?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA-Where are we seein' um?

Old 11-13-2003, 08:16 PM

Default RE: VA-Where are we seein' um?

Let me clear myself on the " I don' t like hunting that way anyway" I meant I don' t like truck hunting. Thought I better clear myself. I reread it and it didn' t sound right. thanx
Old 11-19-2003, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

In NOVA, I' m seeing them all over in the fields hours before dark. Well, at least the past several weeks, but that' s prolly attributed to the rut.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:36 PM

Today I shot a 6 pointer. wasn' t a very massive rack but a real nice sized deer. I think it was 120lbs. Today I borrowed my uncle' s 30-30 and went straight to the fileds by the edge of some small woods. It was the worst day to be out but it was after the rain stopped. I didn' t stay there 5 mins while I was loading my gun did I spot that buck. I went and shook and shaked and got bullets in the 30-30. I got out and waited for it to come by. It got within 100 yards and I whistled and it stopped and looked and then pow. he only went 20 yards. I feel pretty nice. It was my first buck over a spike.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Today I shot a 6 pointer. wasn' t a very massive rack but a real nice sized deer. I think it was 120lbs. Today I borrowed my uncle' s 30-30 and went straight to the fileds by the edge of some small woods. It was the worst day to be out but it was after the rain stopped. I didn' t stay there 5 mins while I was loading my gun did I spot that buck. I went and shook and shaked and got bullets in the 30-30. I got out and waited for it to come by. It got within 100 yards and I whistled and it stopped and looked and then pow. he only went 20 yards. I feel pretty nice. It was my first buck over a spike.
Congrats on that 6 pointer. I shot a similar 6 point last Tuesday that also weighed in at 120 lbs.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:48 AM

I have been seeing them everywhere too. I live west of the blue ridge also. I shot my first racked buck a 8- pointer on opening day!! Have only shot spikes or does before. Still seeing a little bit of rut activity too!
Old 11-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yesterday morning I saw what looked to be a nice eight-pointer...in a heap on the side of the Dulles Toll Road. Ugh, I hate seeing them killed by a truck when you know they would make for a great hunt.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:51 PM

I hear ya on the deer being killed. Boy A fellow that rents a house from us and works on our Neighbor' s farm in Weyers Cave, shot a 12 point buck sometime this week. It was a farm deer so you know it had to have weighed alot. He cut the horns off and mounted just the horns...not the whole head. I would mount that buck' s whole head even if I shot it or not. I heard today was a record at some store today of having 61 bucks checked in like before noon. and had 100 all together. I didn' t see anything. Heard alot of shooting today tho. Good luck everyone.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

i hunted in bland county on opening day of muzzleloader. Seen 14 deer, 11 of them were bucks and i' m hunting national forest. Was watching a wide 4 pointer down below me. He kept looking back up behind him on the other ridge. He never even took a step for about 15 minutes. He was eating moss off of old blow downs (they must be starving) . I finally seen what he was looking at. There was an 10 pointer working his way up to the head of hollow. He had his nose to the ground the whole time. I seen his rack from the sides and back but never head on. I' d say he scored around 145, i killed a 9 pointer that scored 133 5/8 last year and he was alot bigger than him. Anyways he never offered me shot. At 9:06 a doe came the same way he did and there was two 8 pointers chasing her. They had just went over the ridge when a 6 pointer came up the hollow below me. I let him walk. Then about 10:00 another 8 pointer came down from behind me. He was grunting the whole time but wasn' t chasing a doe. He never offered me a shot either (its thick where i' m at) . Then from 10:20 to 11:30 a decent 7 pointer chased this doe up and down and across the ridge the whole time. She finally left but he stayed. I must have dosed off at about 12:00 or 12:15 and when I woke up the first thing i did was look at my watch. It was 1:26. I looked down the ridge and there was a 10 pointer standing there muzzleling through the leaves. When he ot about 55 yards i squeezed the trigger and he hit the ground. So I must say that has been the best day of hunting in my 16 years.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:53 PM

[] WOW what a day. I wish I could see that. I have seen more bucks thgis year than ever. I was offered to hunt in bland county. I never went. It' s way to far away for me not to stay the night.I milk cows so I feel bad leaving somebody else to do my work. That surely sounded like a fun hunt.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

My dad and I hunted Giles County the first week of rifle season. Our first day out we both killed 6 pointers, mine dressed out at 140 and his 130. We didnt see another Buck all week. We didnt get to hunt much after wed. My Uncles house and alot of distant relatives house got flooded by all the rain and what must have been a cloud burst down in Tazewell County cause Wolf Creek rose faster and higher than it has since 1958, from what my family told me.
My dad and I both live in delaware but he was born and raised in Narrows, Va. and we still have alot of family there. I am looking forward to next year already.

AllenC

Quick Reply: VA-Where are we seein' um?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.