Where the Heck are the Turkeys in Virginia >

Where the Heck are the Turkeys in Virginia

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Where the Heck are the Turkeys in Virginia

Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Spike

Default Where the Heck are the Turkeys in Virginia

Man this is frustrating been to numerous WMAs and heard 1 gobble all day. mostly Mattaponi and Pettigrew also been to Powhatan and nothing. planning a trip for a campout to Amelia hoping is my best bet. I don't feel like going thru all the hoops to do Quantico or AP Hill. so where are the birds. I feel like I have walked from VA to Cali.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are there, if it's been windy there like it has been in NC the past few days then they are leaving the roost quietly. I have seen over 40 turkeys in all this past weekend and not a single one made a noise all day. The winds where blowing and they just flew down out of roost and started their normal day. Instead of the normal one watching out at a time I also noticed with the winds there was 4 or 5 at once watching out while the others ate.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to hear good things about the turkey hunting in the Jefferson National Forest near Blacksburg, but for the life of me cannot recall which creek it was. It's surprising where one finds roosts in the mountains, but of course with the apparent caveat that water is never so much as half a mile away. If really willing to roll the dice, go on GoogleMaps and find creeks leading to flat bottom land, surrounded by hollers and slopes. Makes for a natural roost---they like to fly down to the flat clearings from the higher slopes.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

I'd also be interested in any suggestions. I have hunted Quantico & AP Hill in past years, all the intel I've gotten is that no acorns this year = not many turkeys, so going to try some other public land. I'll be hunting with my turkey dog, if anyone wants to hunt with a great dog, I'd be happy to meet up.