Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Highland County, Virginia >

Highland County, Virginia

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Highland County, Virginia

Old 10-31-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Highland County, Virginia

Heading out to Highland County for early muzzleloader. Can anybody tell when I can expect the rut to come in?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Highland County, Virginia

I'm not sure about Highland, as I'm a little north of there, but we've been seeing bucks chasing does already. Ruts NOT in yet, here in NOVA, but they're starting to dog the does as of a couple days ago. If I had to guess, from now until Nov. 20 is going to be your pre-rut through rut in most of VA.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the info! 10 days and counting until I can check it out for myself. Can't wait.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where you coming from? If you're coming up to VA, come on up and join us inNorth/Central VA for a day of cottontail rabbit hunting.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

Yea you will be here during primetime.

hey coolbrze0, Ill take you up on that offer after deer season. Ive still never been on a actual rabbit hunt. Ill pay if need be. I live in Ashland and spend my gun season hunting up in Culpeper.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nsg91

Heading out to Highland County for early muzzleloader. Can anybody tell when I can expect the rut to come in?
I have been going to Highland county for the early MZL season for 8 years now. That week is the best there is. The deer are usually going nuts and rtunning all over the place. I would make one suggestionto you. GO EARLY AND STAY LATE.

What part of the county are you hunting in?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

i've been hunting highland for 25yrs from one end to the other. the deer population in highland has been down in a lot of area's. this is due to doe tags and the lack of a good acorn crop . this year it seems to spotty ,some places you can't find a acorn,but some are loaded. if you hit area that has none,go as high as you can .highland has some high enough peaks that you can get above the frostline .sometimes thats the only place you find food.there are not many farm crops in most of the county so deer will sometimes leave area's to find food. i'm seeing bucks chaseing does now also.if you let me know what part you are hunting in ,i may be able to help more,we have a camp near Headwaters in highland

srwshooter
Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 PM

I'll be hunting Locust Spring area. The population has been down there the last few years. We're hoping for a resurgence.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

i may be able to help more,we have a camp near Headwaters in highland

srwshooter
We have 2500 acres on the Bull Pasture mountain From Liberty over to BIG Hill in McDowell. We also have 500 acres on Davis Run Road leading to Jack Mountain.

Going up Friday to Hang stands for the season andbowhunt the afternoon.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

joeyg, you are more than welcome, no need to pay though Shoot me an e-mail or PM and we'll talk- Steve

Quick Reply: Highland County, Virginia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.