Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Green Swamp West Special oppurtunity >

Green Swamp West Special oppurtunity

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Green Swamp West Special oppurtunity

Old 01-03-2017, 07:06 AM
Spike

Default Green Swamp West Special oppurtunity

Hey there. I got lucky and drew the first general gun quota for GSW. I have been hunting the east track for the last two years and have not been able to put anything in the cooler.
I have heard great things about GSW but I don't have the opportunity to scout it in advance. I have been looking on Google maps. I see areas that look good but then again, I'm not sure if I know what I am looking for. I am worried that I am going to get there and spend the whole two days walking around looking for signs and waste my hunt. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Maybe a game plan, general area to try or some helpful advice?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by saltydog7seas
Hey there. I got lucky and drew the first general gun quota for GSW. I have been hunting the east track for the last two years and have not been able to put anything in the cooler.
I have heard great things about GSW but I don't have the opportunity to scout it in advance. I have been looking on Google maps. I see areas that look good but then again, I'm not sure if I know what I am looking for. I am worried that I am going to get there and spend the whole two days walking around looking for signs and waste my hunt. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Maybe a game plan, general area to try or some helpful advice?
Congrats on ur luck ive never been drawn. How many 5$ permits did u put in? Best bet is to go in there on bicycle and scout on foot. Ain't many boys on this forum are gunna give away there spot. If i were u id find an area where u can see a ways. Maybe catch one chasin a doe or cruisin
Old 01-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Spike

I put in two permits. Like I said, I just got lucky. I definitely wouldn't ask for someone's spot, I just don't want to waste my draw. If there are areas that I should avoid or a general area to check out that would be great. I know the game goes deep into the swamp during hunting season in GSE so I do most of my hunting there inside the cypress domes. It would make sense that they might be in the open more in the west because of less hunting pressure. That's the kind of advice I'm hoping for. Thanks FlaBoy.

I have been told that in GSE I should expect to walk a least a half mile from where I park before setting up my stand in order to have a chance at a deer or hog, is it the same in the west?

Last edited by saltydog7seas; 01-03-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Fork Horn

GSW 1st gun is a good hunt, they typically kill the most bucks on that hunt...It ain't easy though, ya got 4 days to hunt with 36,000 acres of land to contend with...I will say for at a chance at on of the better bucks focus efforts from the oilwell rd. North, seems a lot of the better bucks come from that area and, you shouldn't have to walk too far to get on em.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by I AM THE WOODS
GSW 1st gun is a good hunt, they typically kill the most bucks on that hunt...It ain't easy though, ya got 4 days to hunt with 36,000 acres of land to contend with...I will say for at a chance at on of the better bucks focus efforts from the oilwell rd. North, seems a lot of the better bucks come from that area and, you shouldn't have to walk too far to get on em.
Joey u shud know there aint no bucks in GSW.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
Joey u shud know there aint no bucks in GSW.
Lol...yup I never see nothin but spikes n does in there
Old 01-04-2017, 07:49 AM
Spike

I AM THE WOODS, thank you. That gives me a great starting point.

The plan I have so far is to spend the first morning walking around and looking for signs. Set up my stand for the afternoon and next morning. If nothing by 11 the next morning I will walk a few more hours to try and find something else and then set up again for that afternoon. I am debating on whether or not I will be "sick" on Friday so I can get three days in. I'm still pretty green so if someone has a better idea, I am all ears.

Last edited by saltydog7seas; 01-04-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by saltydog7seas
I AM THE WOODS, thank you. That gives me a great starting point.

The plan I have so far is to spend the first morning walking around and looking for signs. Set up my stand for the afternoon and next morning. If nothing by 11 the next morning I will walk a few more hours to try and find something else and then set up again for that afternoon. I am debating on whether or not I will be "sick" on Friday so I can get three days in. I'm still pretty green so if someone has a better idea, I am all ears.
Thats pry a good game plan, shouldnt take a whole lotta effort to get on some good sign, just sit on it n see what happens
Old 01-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Spike

Plan on getting wet Saturday. 70% chance of Rain starting Friday night.

Find a spot quick on Friday and sit. The deer will be feeding before that storm hits.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Spike

Thanks for the heads up GotLucky. It's the weekend after this one though. Hopefully the weather will be good then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.