Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

New to forum

Old 11-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Spike

Default New to forum

Hey everyone. This is my first post on here. Born and raised in Pasco. 36 now and I've hunted off and on since I was a kid and I still haven't been able to shoot a hog or deer. I used to hunt around lower suwannee a lot and finally got the chance to hunt GS last year.
On mornings I hunt I shower with the Dead Down Wind setup. Use the dirt deodorant and cover scent. I'm usually in a tree an hour before sunup until half hour after sunset (minus about 2 hours for lunch). It's been frustrating to say the least.
Last year I hunted off Tanic and Powder a good bit and then towards the river some. I hunted in the cypress /bay hammocks, on the edges and "What I understand to be) funnels. I wear the walmart special rubber boots that come up to about my knee so I try to avoid water deeper than that. I wish I had more time to scout but GS is a 2 hour round trip drive for me. I still put in quite a bit of miles walking but it seems like every time I saw signs there was already a stand there. Every time I go and try to push further I just keep wondering how far is "too far"? I don't want to be 2 miles in the deep stuff when I shoot something and then not be able to haul it out. I feel like I have to be doing something wrong but I have no idea what.
I saw one deer in GS. I was in my stand and someone walking down the trail spooked him. I still haven't seen a GS hog. I heard a sounder on the last day of general gun last year but when I went back for small game there was no sign of them.
I hunter Lower Suwannee last weekend with a friend and he shot his first hog out of my stand site. I sat there 4 times last year and didn't see one. I didn't see much sign when I scouted it but I did see a deer in a spot just down the trail so I decided to hunt it. Turned out to be a poor choice.
I got lucky and drew first day for GS east and west this year. I've never had the chance to hunt west so I'm nervous and hopeful.

I know it's not easy or everyone would be doing it. I just feel like I'm putting in the work but whatever I am doing just isn't good enough. If anyone feels like taking pity on me I would be more than happy to soak up any advice you can throw my way. I can reciprocate with fishing tips if that helps? lol
Thanks, Happy hunting.