Stupid sc legislators >

Stupid sc legislators

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Stupid sc legislators

Old 08-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Spike

Default Stupid sc legislators

Part of the state opens August 15, with no stipulations on what you can use. Upstate, archery opens the middle of sept, muzzle load first of October, gun season mid October. I'm betting the hunters In the lower part of the state does not even own a muzzle loader?? SCDNR need to set seasons, not legislators
Old 08-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

What exactly is the problem? Other then this being ran by the Legislators but the biologist and DNR do provide them with input and recommendations.

Zone 1

Deer Primitive Weapons:
Oct. 1-10
Muzzleloader is buck only. One (1) antlerless
deer may be taken with an individual
antlerless deer tag. Archery antlerless limit
1 per day - 2 total.
Gun Hunts: Oct. 11-Jan. 1
Antlerless Limit: buck only for all weapons
except on either-sex days or with individual
antlerless deer tag. 1 antlerless per day. Total 4.
Either-Sex Days: Nov. 12, 19, 26

Zone 2
Archery Only: Sept. 15-30
1 antlerless per day - 2 total.
Primitive Weapons: Oct. 1-10
Muzzleloader is buck only, except Antlerless
on Oct. 1, 8 or with individual antlerless deer
tags. 1 antlerless per day - 2 total.
Buck only for all weapons, except on either-sex
days or with individual antlerless deer tags - 1
antlerless deer per day - 5 total.
Either-Sex Days: Oct. 15,
Nov. 12, 19, 26; Dec. 31; Jan. 1

Zone 3
Archery & Gun Hunts:
Aug. 15-Jan. 1
days or with individual antlerless deer tags
beginning Sept. 15. 1 antlerless deer per day.
Either-Sex Days: Oct. 1, 8, 15;

Zone 4
Archery Only: Aug. 15-31
Buck only.
Gun Hunts: Sept. 1-Jan. 1
Old 08-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Spike

Default Muzzle loaders

How many muzzle loaders do you suppose are in the lower part of the state? They ca hunt with center fire from Aug 15--Jan 1. Upstate must hunt archery or muzzle loaders until gun season opens in october. Low state already has been hunting 6 weeks with guns. Open the season in zone 1 & 2 for any weapon....like low state...[/U][/B][/B]
Originally Posted by olsaltydog
What exactly is the problem? Other then this being ran by the Legislators but the biologist and DNR do provide them with input and recommendations.

Zone 1

Deer Primitive Weapons:
Oct. 1-10
Muzzleloader is buck only. One (1) antlerless
deer may be taken with an individual
antlerless deer tag. Archery antlerless limit
1 per day - 2 total.
Antlerless Limit: buck only for all weapons
except on either-sex days or with individual
antlerless deer tag. 1 antlerless per day. Total 4.
Either-Sex Days: Nov. 12, 19, 26

Zone 2
Archery Only: Sept. 15-30
1 antlerless per day - 2 total.
Primitive Weapons: Oct. 1-10
Muzzleloader is buck only, except Antlerless
on Oct. 1, 8 or with individual antlerless deer
tags. 1 antlerless per day - 2 total.
days or with individual antlerless deer tags - 1
antlerless deer per day - 5 total.
Either-Sex Days: Oct. 15,

Zone 3
Archery & Gun Hunts:
Aug. 15-Jan. 1

Zone 4
Archery Only: Aug. 15-31
Buck only.
Gun Hunts: Sept. 1-Jan. 1
Old 08-02-2016, 04:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

How many hunters are in lower SC? If it is anything like PA, at least half of them have muzzle loaders. Quite frankly your post doesn't make much sense. I looked at the seasons as posted and nothing bad jumped out as I read it. You don't like the seasons, what else is new, there are people in all the other states who don't like them either. Unless you can define a reason the people who set the seasons are stupid, other than the fact you don't like them I doubt you will get much sympathy
Old 08-02-2016, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with his post about Fish and Wildlife being managed and regulations implemented by the legislature instead of the DNR. Legislators don't seem to fully grasp all the concepts except money, this is one thing the DNR is designed for and should be responsible for.

His view on the tools used by hunters in the southern portion of the state versus the northern sections I don't agree with. The limit appears to be 11 total deer 8 tags for antlerless deer and 3 for bucks. I would have to look into how the purchase of extra anterless tags is regulated but from my perspective I see no issue.

Zone 1 would be very similar to NC and this area would be one of the least herd density areas in the state.

Zone 2 would be the prime zone for deer of size but not as high in density numbers.

Zones 3 and 4 are both areas with high deer densities and because of the large population of deer in these areas they need their numbers kept in check, hence an almost unregulated season on type of weapon used. The only exception would be for Zone 4 having the split 15 day archery season before opening the season up completely. This has more to do with the human population density along the coast then anything else. They appear to wait just long enough for the tourists to get out of the area and returned home first before letting the hunters loose. That and the top counties bordering NC are low deer density areas as well.

Its the way I see it from just examining the numbers and reports. A call to the states biologist can give more precise information.

Last edited by olsaltydog; 08-02-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Salty, I copied and pasted the following directly from the SCDNR web page:

Game Zones & WMAs
South Carolina is divided into four game
zones, as defined on the maps on page 60.
The SCDNR sets and regulates the methods
of harvest, bag limits and other requirements
for hunting on Wildlife Management Areas
(WMA) statewide.

The SC General Assembly establishes seasons,
limits and methods for private land
statewide. The SCDNR is responsible for law
enforcement statewide.

I have to say I find the above a convoluted way to set hunting seasons and bag limits. Of course it would be a good way to garner votes. That said, The question is, does the general assembly do it with the advise and guidance of the DCNR or do they according to what their constituents want them to do? The later could create problems galore.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-02-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes that is true OT, majority (90%+) of hunting lands though is private leased, ergo not DNR. Their system is often times confusing which is one reason other than license increases I have not ventured down that way other then to fish. Too easy to find yourself in trouble.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Hook
How many muzzle loaders do you suppose are in the lower part of the state?
Probably a lot. Why would you think that because someone lives south of a certain point in a specific state they would suddenly not have muzzleloaders? The things are pretty common just about everywhere.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Probably a lot. Why would you think that because someone lives south of a certain point in a specific state they would suddenly not have muzzleloaders? The things are pretty common just about everywhere.
Because IF I have the option of using either a muzzle loader or a modern center fire rifle, I will choose a center fire every time. Low state does not have a "muzzle loader" season.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

That would be what you may choose, several members here prefer hunting strictly archery, strictly muzzle-loader, or strictly center fire. Everyone makes their own choice in these regards. I wouldn't expect others to adhere to my views in regards to hunting choices nor would I impose my view as the way it should be done.

SC's regulations in regards to hunting seasons, methods, and limits has been changing each season in regards to some of the public input studies they have conducted as well as some of the herd studies. Many states that make changes often times piss groups off and make other groups happy with made changes. I understand changes can be frustrating and hard to understand the why they are doing something, but that has been the way it is in every state. Hope you have a great season and would suggest if you think they are doing something wrong, writing the DNR/Legislature, and showing up to the meetings put on by them to hear the issues being discussed and providing public voice would do alot more then you may realize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.