General firearms opener >

General firearms opener

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

General firearms opener

Old 11-14-2015, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default General firearms opener

Well, I can't remember the last time or if I've ever missed the general firearms opener. I thought about going today but I have a couple open cuts healing on the hand and I would be hunting a WMA I haven't been to lately. I need to re-familiarize myself with this area as I am certain there has been some changes since my last visit. There are also a couple matters that need tending to today, so I have decided to go a couple days this coming week when there will be less pressure and hopefully no dog hunters.
Good luck today to all HNI members from this state.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-14-2015 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'll say you didn't miss anything. At least not where I am.

I was out there this morning for 5hrs with my muzzleloader. 38* and a little windy, but not too bad. Did have a few strong gusts now and then.

In 35yrs of being out there on opening day...this was a first. I didn't hear a single gunshot for a full 30 mins after shooting light.
Normally I hear the first shot early and question why someone was shooting that early....and its steady banging from there. I probably heard 5 shots total in the first hour after shooting light. Then it picked up for about the next 30-45 mins (probably heard 20-25), then it went quiet again. I never saw a deer. I did see a decent sized black bear running through some thick stuff about the edge of my viewing area. Never could get a good look at him through the binos, he didn't stop. Nice size from what I could tell.

I hope it picks up...the past two weeks have sucked at my place. Very little activity at all, normally its pretty good this time of year.

Good luck guys
Old 11-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

I'm heading out this evening for a corn field patrol. I'm saving my best spot for hunters choice days next week. With no acorns this year you have to find where they are feeding or passing through to bedding areas. Good luck!!

Last edited by toytruck; 11-14-2015 at 08:34 AM. Reason: forgot to add...
Old 11-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Well I'll say you didn't miss anything. At least not where I am.
We did manage to have what I think is the first frost here on the coast. Finally started cooling here a bit last couple days. Trees still don't look normal-that is-the leaves have little coloration change and minimal droppage. Still believe it will end up a good season and hope those leaves are falling better a little inland where I hunt.