South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

NoVa rut?

Old 11-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default NoVa rut?

Folks,
Has anyone seen any rutting or chasing action here in Northern VA? I live in Lovettsville and have seen what maybe and sorta and kinda looked like small scrapes, but no rubs. However, the does are still running together and no sign of bucks. Not even small ones! Whazup!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seen a lot the last week & a half. Pre-rut w/ chasing started a little over a week ago, give or take. I'd say rut is in now for the next week. Watched a 150" class 13 pointer breed a doe 20 yds. from me Monday in Vienna (killed me that I couldn't get a shot) & took a 125" 8 pointer in McLean last night that was grunting & trailing 2 does. I've hunted 4-5 days/week the last 5 weeks & the weird thing is, normally I see a ton of deer hit on the road in pre-rut & rut. Saw some about a week ago (not nearly as much as normal), but not many since... I think these 70+ degree days we're having are keeping deer bedded down more during the day & they're moving more than normal under the cover of darkness when it cools down some.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Coolbrze0,
Thanks for the information. I'm glad you are having better luck in observing rutting action. Since I initially started this thread, I chatted with a few folks that hunt here on the Short Hills; they have not seen any action such as chasing or bucks running in the daylight either. I shared with them your report; it took they by surprise as they also are waiting for everything to start. Maybe we missed it! Blink and its gone!!!

Keep in mind, the does are here its just they have not demonstrated any rutting behavior. They are still in small groups.

I already have some meat in the freezer, however, I would like to get a nice buck to go with the doe meat, and, of course, its nice to see the deer running around in the day light as they chase each other.

Too bad for us! I guess I live in the twilight zone!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Drox,

I don't think you missed it at all. As you probably know, does will come into heat at different times and it could be your population of does aren't ready to breed yet. I have watched small bucks chasing, fighting, and scraping the last 48 hours in Manassass area but haven't seen on bit of evidence of the rut in Clifton or Oakton yet. Hopefully it will change this weekend and its getting ready to be go time for the majority of us. I honestly believe the does have their own agenda depending on their own bodies and that is why one particular location may have rutting behaviors going on and other places don't. Don't give up yet on the rut yet. This week should be good if you haven't seen any rutting behavior yet, especially after this heat wave.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Folks,
Update! Sorta.

The wife and I were in town doing our normal weekend shopping, and wammo I see the rut in full swing. For those of you familiar with NoVa, we were driving on Hwy. 7 approaching from the east (Dulles side) right at Potomac Station Shopping Center (think Best Buy) when this doe comes out of the woods full tilt with a buck right on her heels.

These two begin to weave in between the cars stopped due to the traffic signal. They were running around the cars like the cars were rocks or trees. The deer were totally oblivious to the moving cars and people! Wow!

In the end, they made it back to the woods unscathed! Dont know how, but there ya are.

However, meanwhile back at my stands, does walkng around like they are headed to a picnic. Like Flips2 points out hot here cold there. The does have their own schedule.

All the years I been hunting I have never seen anything like this.

Thank for the info!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

We were in Leesburg!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Guys,

I hunt Quantico 4-5 times a week and although I have noticed scrapes and rubs a bit I defiantly have not seen the big bucks up moving around during daylight hours...This is a weird rut I normally see bucks seeking & chasing more aggressive during daylight hours.

But I agree with "Flips2" the heat wave is killing us the deer are moving late at night and bedding most of the day....I have seen no rutting behavior in the Manassas area or Stafford area yet.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the rut is on it's way out right now. I've mainly been hunting Northern VA this year, 4-5 days/week & saw less movement the furthest this week went on. Of course, temps in the mid-upper 70s didn't help, but I still saw bucks w/o does & lots of does w/o bucks during the latter part of the week. Who the heck knows...
Old 11-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Spike

I think it all depends on where you are hunting. On Quantico the rut has not hit yet. No one has seen much in the terms of chasing going on yet. Last week was slow. Not many deer checked in and only a couple on the big buck board.

Had a few friends get deer today and they reported that they were cruising with their nose to the ground and out seeking. I think this week will be very good with the temps dropping.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Eyedr,

I hunted Quantico on Saturday November 7th and at 9:30 AM had a monster 9pt come by at 30 yards I was able to to hit him but I was unable to find him the blood just stopped and he ran 200+ yards I think I hit him high shoulder between the vitals/spine there was red clear blood and brown hair with fat.

He was just walking through the woods he was defiantly not in rut he was on alert and very much taking a troll he showed no signs of being in the rut......I checked my trail camera and on Monday November 2nd I had a big 6pt chasing a doe on my camera hard you could see he was panting she was defiantly a hot doe

So yes it is hit or miss very confusing some bucks are hot and some are acting very normal.......I'm trying to heal it never feels good to miss a monster buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.