Florida Lower Suwanee is no longer Free

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida Lower Suwanee is no longer Free

Old 06-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Spike

Default Florida Lower Suwanee is no longer Free

Just a heads up everyone....
This year, 2015, is the first year Hunter's will be required to pay for a season permit ($15) for hunting the Lower Suwanee National Wildlife Preserve. Your WMA permit WILL NOT cover it.

To get the "permit" you have to go through the process as if it were a quota hunt, but it is limited to the first 10,000 (pretty much unlimited). The permit is only valid from start of bow 2015 through Gun ending in early 2016, no matter when you purchase it.

I do not think you can purchase a permit at the park.

I hunted there last season and met a few rangers there. They did not tell me of the new permit requirement, nor was anything posted. I stumbled upon the new requirement while recently looking for the WMA map for a buddy, which used to serve as your hunting permit.

Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I thought a current federal migratory bird stamp got you on National refuge areas.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Spike

Every time I hunted Lower Suwanee, I only had a valid Fl hunting permit and a signed WMA brochure for Lower Suwanee, no permit, no stamp(s). I was stopped and checked every season, sometimes more than once in a season, no issues. I do not hunt Migratory birds, so I can't answer your question. My advice would be that since in the past hunting on federal wildlife areas was free, including there, you might want to verify how it works now that the Permit fee was created for 2015 / 2016. Please post your findings. Thanks and Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will check. I just pulled this from the US F&W Service website. Are you sure the WMA is under Federal control?

What are Duck Stamps?
Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamps, commonly known as “Duck Stamps,” are pictorial stamps produced by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. They are not valid for postage. Created in 1934 as federal licenses required for hunting migratory waterfowl, Federal Duck Stamps have a much larger purpose today.

First Federal Duck Stamp.
Design by J.N. "Ding" Darling

USFWS/William Schmidt
The Second Federal Duck Stamp Contest (1951)

Federal Duck Stamps are vital tools for wetland conservation. Ninety-eight cents of every dollar generated by the sale of Federal Duck Stamps goes directly to purchase or lease wetland habitat for protection in the National Wildlife Refuge System. The Federal Duck Stamp has been called one of the most successful conservation programs ever initiated and is a highly effective way to conserve America’s natural resources.

Besides serving as a hunting license and a conservation tool, a current Federal Duck Stamp also serves as an entrance pass for national wildlife refuges where admission is charged. Duck Stamps and products that bear stamp images are also popular collector items.

The Junior Duck Stamp conservation education program teaches students across the nation “conservation through the arts.” Revenue generated by the sales of Junior Duck Stamps funds environmental education programs in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and several territories.

Today, many states issue their own duck stamps. In some states, the stamps are purely a collector’s item, but in others, the stamps have a similar role in hunting and conservation as Federal Duck Stamps.

For information regarding the authorizing legislation behind Duck Stamps, please see our "stamp law" page.

Download our brochure, The Federal Duck Stamp Story, for a brief history of both Federal and Junior Duck Stamps

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-23-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Spike

Wow. Great info. Thanks.
Yes I am absolutely Positive that Lower Suwannee is a National Wildlife Refuge, not a Florida WMA. They said it over and over when I went to get my Permit for this year because they said my Florida WMA permit does not count there. Here is how the FWC words it on the Brochure from FWC website.

Lower Suwannee
National Wildlife Refuge
16450 NW 31 Place
Chiefland, F, FL 32626
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone Number: 352-493-0238
Old 06-24-2015, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default F&W service

I just checked the refuge website on the net. They do say a 15.00 hunting permit is required. Perhaps the duckstamp gives you access to the refuge without cost but they charge you to hunt there. If I were you, I would call the office and find out for sure. Good luck.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-24-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

maybee it will weed out some of the *******s there haha... it is true that you need to by the permit this year, in years past you only had to get a brochure and sign it. most of the brochures were taken by locals who didn't want people to hunt "their spot". i think its a good idea as long as the funds go to better the state and not buy someones steak dinner...
Old 09-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Great info on access to the area, is it productive for deer and hogs?