Another Newbie to NOVA >

Another Newbie to NOVA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Another Newbie to NOVA

Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Spike

Default Another Newbie to NOVA

Greetings all. Moved to NOVA about a year ago from Central PA. Have hunted my family farm for years until we moved down here. I'll still be going back to PA for buck season and family but will need to assimilate down here somewhere for my regular treks. Have been looking around for advice on where to go and this forum looks like it has the right people around. I'm currently in Prince William County and I'll be checking out Ft. Belvoir and Quantico, and maybe some other places if my co-worker can get me in with his group. It's a bit of a long trip for that however (still not sure exactly where, but south of Quantico from what I can tell), so I'm still trying to figure out what is worth it all for me.

In the mean time, I have some specific questions:
* Does anyone have anything good to say about Merrimac Farm?
* Does anyone have some good places to take game for processing and/or donating?
* Is there a go-to map for finding hunting grounds like PA game commission has? (ie: like this http://pgcmaps.pa.gov/pgcpublicviewer/)

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Google VA fish and game or DNR and find thei9r website. I don't know of any state that doesn't have a website like the PGC does.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by twistdhood
Greetings all. Moved to NOVA about a year ago from Central PA. Have hunted my family farm for years until we moved down here. I'll still be going back to PA for buck season and family but will need to assimilate down here somewhere for my regular treks. Have been looking around for advice on where to go and this forum looks like it has the right people around. I'm currently in Prince William County and I'll be checking out Ft. Belvoir and Quantico, and maybe some other places if my co-worker can get me in with his group. It's a bit of a long trip for that however (still not sure exactly where, but south of Quantico from what I can tell), so I'm still trying to figure out what is worth it all for me.

In the mean time, I have some specific questions:
* Does anyone have anything good to say about Merrimac Farm?
* Does anyone have some good places to take game for processing and/or donating?
* Is there a go-to map for finding hunting grounds like PA game commission has? (ie: like this http://pgcmaps.pa.gov/pgcpublicviewer/)

Thanks in advance!
1. I believe Merrimac is draw for everything. Never hunted there but hunt a few farms in Nokesville & there are some big bucks & a lot of rabbits & turkey around.
2. Gadells Processing in Catlett off 28, heard they closed their doors earlier this week b/c they're full but they'll catch up quick - (703) 361-1098
3. http://www.dgif.virginia.gov