Hunting Alabama >

Hunting Alabama

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting Alabama

Old 11-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Spike

Default Hunting Alabama

I would like to hunt Alabama on a limited budget. Anyone have any suggestions on good public land? I live in SC near Charlotte NC. Looking for Northern AL possibly.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Spike

Bankhead National Forest is a beautiful area. It is home to the largest WMA in the state, the Black Warrior WMA. I have hunted turkey and hogs here, but never deer -- but there are plenty out there. In addition, the NF land outside the WMA also open for hunting. I will probably hunt deer there this winter.

There are two designated hunter camps within the WMA that any hunters who wish to camp on the WMA must use. They are completely unimproved; it's more about getting everyone together so no one gets lost or shot. As I understand it, one may also camp outside the WMA. There are also hotels about 30 minutes away in Moulton and about 45 minutes away in Cullman, just off I-65. Cullman is also home to a very nice sporting goods store, Van's Sporting Goods, which has surprisingly low prices for being a local place, along with a friendly, helpful staff.

There is a nice topographical map of the whole area that is available from Cart-O-Craft in Birmingham; most Walmarts and sporting goods stores in the northern half of the state have them, and I think you can get it online or from the printer.

Seasons on the WMA are different from the rest of the state; Google will be your friend on that one.

PM me with specific questions if you have any. I live about 20 minutes south of the WMA and can give you general tips for the area.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Spike

I just wanted to add that you can also take a look at the three divisions of Talladega NF as well. The Oakmulgee Ranger District is in the rolling hills of west central Alabama, southeast of Tuscaloosa. The Talladega and Shoal Creek Ranger Districts are in the eastern part of the state, east of I-65. I-20 passes right through the middle of it, near Anniston. I know very little about the WMAs, camping areas, and hunting grounds of that forest, although my brother and I hunted hogs in the Oakmulgee district this past spring and I saw a lot of deer sign. The Pinhoti Trail runs up through the Talladega and Shoal Creek districts and provides some great views; I hear it can lead to some good hunting areas as well, if you're willing to walk a bit. I don't know that first hand, though.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Spike

Thank you for the information Barefoot!