Hunting over bait question >

Hunting over bait question

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting over bait question

Old 11-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Spike

Default Hunting over bait question

Hello!! I have a question about getting a ticket for "hunting over bait." We are in the Northern zone where it is illegal... As you know, gun season started on the 18th of October and on the 28th of October my husband decided to go hunt my stand on the power line. Well, I put out some corn a little before open day of gun season and when my husband went hunting, it turns out the game warden was hiding on the other end of the power line waiting for someone to go out to that stand. He said he had been waiting for a week. He said he had a "picture" of some corn the Thursday before (October 23rd) and walked over to the spot where there was none visible at the time my husband got the ticket. Now, my question is, should he have gotten a ticket for "baiting" when actually there was no corn? Also, my husband did not see no picture so therefore all the proof we have is the waden's word. Should we try to get out of the ticket? And should we ask to see the so called picture and of course check the date? Thanks!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Is there a time after bait has been removed before you can hunt a formally baited are? Other than that it willbe his word against the Game Warden and the fact neither could find any bait on the date of the ticket should be on your favor.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Spike

Thanks for your reply. It is 10 days. I am not sure of the exact date that I put it out though. We will pay the fine if the warden can prove he found corn but so far we have not seen the proof. We will just have to wait until the court date. Mainly what we wanted to know is if they had to have proof or not. Hopefully it is in our favor. 👍
Old 11-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

I am guessing you are in GA correct... If so all corn must be removed or consumed 10 days prior to hunting an area... You can feed deer corn year round but have to be more then 200yds away and it must be out of the line of sight, so even if you are 300yds away you can not be able to see baited area..

this is a stupid law especially now that you can bait and legally hunt over it in the southern zone.. GA needs to either make it legal state wide or make it illegal state wide,..