Newbie Shotgunning Question >

Newbie Shotgunning Question

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Newbie Shotgunning Question

Old 12-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Spike

Default Newbie Shotgunning Question

Hello all, new member here from Tennessee.

I have a question for you all. Not really new to shotguns. Have used them all my life for squirrel's and rabbits and such using usually a mod or full choke with a #6 shell.

However any other loads not so much experienced. I recently bought a mossberg 500 turkey type 12 guage 24 inch barrel Accuchoke that u can swap out choke tubes. I have the xx full it came with, i have purchased a jellyhead and also have a mod and full tube.

My question is can i shoot slugs, or 00 with this gun and maybe the mod tube? Or maybe a IC? just curious how big i can go as in terms of home defense with a Turkey gun without tearing the gun up. Thanks
Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slug barrels are fairly reasonable for Mossberg 500's IMO that would be the best way to go. I wouldn't shoot a slug out of mod. choke. 00buckshot you might be able to BUT im not 100% sure on that. I'd check with a local gunsmith before doing any of it.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Spike

Default Thread on this Topic

I found this thread on the topic of shooting slugs through a shotgun barrel:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=77023

This thread is from 2009...but still seemed relevant.

You might consider calling the gun manufacturer and getting their recommendation.