Help with Virginia Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Help with Virginia Hunting

Old 12-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Spike

Default Help with Virginia Hunting

All,

I am a avid hunter that grew up in Montana, hunting Elk, Deer and Goose. Since I have moved to Virgnia, I need help with the idea of a tree stand. I know this is a weird question, but where can I get some info on what to do? I have a couple of good places to hunt, but I grew up "hunting", by that I mean, walking the woods, tracking the game and then using a high powered rifle to take my game. Sitting in a tree stand for hours on end, seems foreign to me. I am definitely not being critical, just looking for some good pointers on where I can start.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Spike

For starters you need to choose which type of stand you need. Are you in need of a ladder stand, climber, or a hang on. Where are you hunting? Is it private or public land? Would feel safe leaving it for extended periods of time? Do you have an established trail that you are setting up on? Are you looking for something that you can move around easy with you to different locations?

These were the questions I had to ask myself when getting my stand. I hunt a few different places and needed the portability of a stand so I choose a Summit Viper climbing stand. Have used it several times and love it. Went out one day after purchased and just practiced going up and down the tree. Learning how to maneuver it and work the tree strap as I was climbing or descending. Also took some time to practice shooting from it so I knew what to expect when the real moment came about to actually shoot from it. No matter which you choose practice safe climbing and ALWAYS use your harness and climbing strap.

Hope this helps you out a little.

Chuck Kenny
Old 12-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Spike

I appreciate the ideas. I have two places to hunt on private land but also have access to Quantico and Belvoir. That being said, a portable tree stand would be beneficial. Have you tried a ground blind at all? I know that deer have no natural predators above them so a tree stand seems logical, but am curious about a ground blind.

Have you hunted with a muzzleloader or crossbow?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

the hunting is going to be different from what youre used to for sure. Ive watched tv shows where they hunt out west like you were talking about, i always thought that would be awesome, but youre not going to get to do that here lol. You can do some stalking, you just have to move slow, into or across the wind, and keep your eyes peeled. If not then yes you have to ambush them, figure out where they are coming from and going to and put yourself somewhere along the route.