Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
4 more years w/out Sunday Hunts in VA??? >

4 more years w/out Sunday Hunts in VA???

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

4 more years w/out Sunday Hunts in VA???

Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 4 more years w/out Sunday Hunts in VA???

Now that northern VA and Tidewater have spoken and elected McAuliffe as our next Governor, looks like it may be 4 more years before we stand any chance at Sunday hunting?

I do understand the House and Senate would have to agree upon a bill and send it to the Governor(not likely) but McAuliffe thinks Sunday hunting should stay as is for now. Too bad we could not get something done before McDonnell left the office of Governor.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Now that northern VA and Tidewater have spoken and elected McAuliffe as our next Governor, looks like it may be 4 more years before we stand any chance at Sunday hunting?

I do understand the House and Senate would have to agree upon a bill and send it to the Governor(not likely) but McAuliffe thinks Sunday hunting should stay as is for now. Too bad we could not get something done before McDonnell left the office of Governor.
Actually it is the Ag committee that keeps blocking this for a vote. It never gets out of committee and therefore it is never heard before the Senate and the House.

In the committee itself, the biggest blockers to getting rid of the ban are Republicans. Each year I have written letters, sent emails and the republican members of the sub committee keep blocking it. This has been going on for years. This is a perfect example of why term limits would be a good thing...
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Safari Club International has prefilled a lawsuit to get the ban removed in Virginia. They have said they will wait until after the next GA before going forward with it. I hope they just go ahead with it as waiting will do no good. McAuliffe will veto any lifting of the ban. Expecting anything else form him is as bad as hoping he would lose.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Spike

I have no idea what McAuliffe would do, but I would like to see a bill get out of the sub committee and let the Senate and House vote on it. Then we would have a much better idea on where we stand with this issue. I would think that if the Senate and House pass lifting the ban then McAuliffe would sign it into law.

Like I said though, I would like to just see it get out of the darn sub committee.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Eyedr
Actually it is the Ag committee that keeps blocking this for a vote. It never gets out of committee and therefore it is never heard before the Senate and the House.

In the committee itself, the biggest blockers to getting rid of the ban are Republicans. Each year I have written letters, sent emails and the republican members of the sub committee keep blocking it. This has been going on for years. This is a perfect example of why term limits would be a good thing...

Not exactly the case. SB464 made it out of the Senate back in 2012 only to die in the House sub-committee after cross-over day.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7294

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-06-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Terry M stated he saw no reason to change the ban at all. This is right around the time he said he was proud of his F rating from the NRA. I suspect he would veto it with no qualms.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Terry M stated he saw no reason to change the ban at all. This is right around the time he said he was proud of his F rating from the NRA. I suspect he would veto it with no qualms.

I think I read Terry is a long time deer and bird hunter????? Heck he even bought himself a shotgun back in January.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Eyedr
I have no idea what McAuliffe would do, .
He's a GUN GRABBING 2nd Amendment hating LIBERAL.....that should tell you exactly what he will do.....

He's no different then KING obama....he would BAN ALL GUNS if he could...and you think he might be for Sunday Hunting.....??????

Last edited by brewman555; 11-07-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brewman555
He's a GUN GRABBING 2nd Amendment hating LIBERAL.....that should tell you exactly what he will do.....

He's no different then KING obama....he would BAN ALL GUNS if he could...and you think he might be for Sunday Hunting.....??????

As odd as it sounds, at least 1 of the liberal state senators voted in favor of SB 464 back in 2012. Specifically, our newly elected Lt Governor(Northam) favors more gun restrictions but was the sponsor for SB 464.

Here is another little tidbit: One of the "nay" votes to SB 464 was then Senator Obenshain, who may possibly be the next Attorney General.

As I have said before, I would love to hunt Sunday's but not at the expense of our 2nd Amendment Rights.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
As I have said before, I would love to hunt Sunday's but not at the expense of our 2nd Amendment Rights.
I agree with that statement 100%.....

My 2nd Amendment Rights are way more important then Sunday Hunting......