Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Quantico 8B

Old 11-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback Lebensj; (you are probably correct about me overthinking it.) And no, I don't want to be there at 0400. I am just trying to get a sense of the opening day routine.
I grew up hunting public land in Indiana. Bow season was easy, but the opening day of firearm season was a little of a madhouse. But if you comitted to a 20 or 30 min walk to your stand, you would rarely encounter others. I would apply this same technique at quantico, but with all the road access points, its difficult to get deep.

I spent the day there sunday, and didn't see much either. No scrapes, and a few doe along the road.

Let me ask another question: Do hunters sometimes hunt the clearings (LZs and similar fields) adjacent to the gravel roads?The regulation prohibits hunting 200m from paved roads, but I don't see prohibition on hunting near gravel roads.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:16 AM
Spike

Never had any problems hunting near the gravel roads, always just made sure I'm not shooting across it. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Spike

Thanks again. I asked these questions at the check in station and this is what I found:
hunting is limited 200m from PAVED roads, so (like you just said), hunting closer to gravel roads is fine. And hunting the LZs near the gravel roads is permitted.
Thanks again.
I took a 100lb (field dressed) 3x2 about 0700 saturday at Quantico. It felt nice to be back in the game after being out for so many years.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Spike

Awesome, congratulations. I sat all day and saw a bunch of turkeys and 2 does.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Spike

I have been in quantico every day this firearms season, except one.
Every sit (but 1), I have seen doe. One night I saw 15-20 doe, and wathced them feed for over an hour; this past friday I had a spike and doe within 10 yards for 30 min.
I don't think I am doing anything "top secret". Just getting in early, and finding places with visibility. Besides the first day, I have not see any chasing bucks.
/
What are the rest of you seeing?
What do you think this cold snap will do to the deer?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Spike

About the same, I've seen doe's every time out. Only saw 1 buck and not long enough to get a shot. I have seen no rutting activity. Today deer were moving all day in the rain which was great since otherwise it would have been wet and miserable. I've seen a lot of turkeys, they were all over the place today.