Virginia Rut Predictions?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Rut Predictions?

Old 10-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Virginia Rut Predictions?

Guys,

Hope everybody is having a good start to their seasons. Has there been any rut predictions or activity. I'm talking about eastern to mid VA. I hunted Monday last morning and checked for buck sign...nothing. I hunted Friday night wife and she missed an 8 pointer with her bow. On the way to the stand I saw twelve scrapes and they were SUPER fresh and very large. No chasing or any rubs though.

I look forward to your responses.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

A friend of mine said that Deer/Deer hunting mag predicts an early rut from this past full moon until the next. Not sure. Did see a young buck chasing a doe, but not much else other than a few fresh scrapes.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

No signs where I'm hunting. The deer aren't even moving in the daylight. I hunt east of Richmond.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Typically in Virginia, a few days before Halloween to the middle of November, the switch fips. I plan to be in the woods during that time whenever possible. Good luck everyone.

VA
Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Do you guys think it's too early for estrus scents? I have noticed the buck groups have split up on my farm. Haven't seen any fighting though.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Spike

Alsheimer predicted a late rut this year due to the late rutting moon. The prediction was that the peak would be right around Thanksgiving this year.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

I can say that the cold day today helped. Saw deer moving around at 4:30 until dark. No shooters, but I was glad to see some daylight movement finally. This little cold snap makes for some nice evenings in the woods.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Eyedr
Alsheimer predicted a late rut this year due to the late rutting moon. The prediction was that the peak would be right around Thanksgiving this year.

Man I was hoping it would be early this year.

I went out this morning. I saw two does at 9:30 and that was it. I have not seen a buck while hunting yet this year, let alone any chasing. I did find one very big scrape today. I am seeing a lot less deer this year than last year.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Spike

Im hunting in western Hanover/Goochland area and have a little honey hole I have been taking care of since August with some various stuff like food plot, corn piles, and getting out before sunrise and in stand. I have seen no less than 7-10 deer in my place every morning where I have seen some chasing, grunting, and mature bucks hanging out later this past week. Today with the cold weather I put out a doe in estrus bomb and had a mature, big rack buck show up grunting, stomping, etc. Unfortunately he skipped out about 5 minutes before I could make his body out in my sight. I did see a lot of rack in the moonlight, but it appears that this snap in weather has got the bigger bucks out trolling more than Ive seen the past few weeks. I did take a small buck today, but as far as the rut, all I have noticed is a small buck chasing and trying to mount a yearling doe. Im not sure if its the so called "pre rut, or if things are picking up, but the weather is going to play a big part of it. Im thinking (hoping) that around Halloween or the week after it should be kicking in, at least in the group that I am seeing on a regular basis.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:22 AM
Spike

Good to see some familiar names here. Haven't been out yet this year. REALLY looking forward to next weekend. Going in late to get a ground blind up and some shooting lanes trimmed. I don't know if this will alert the deer to change as they have been left alone all summer. Hope to see some good pics this season. Good luck to all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.