Lease v.s. own? >

Lease v.s. own?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Lease v.s. own?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Spike

Default Lease v.s. own?

Just curious how many of you guys hunt your own land, or how many of you lease the ground you hunt. Also, do you generally lease the land by yourself, or get a few buddies/family members to go in on a lease together?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

we hunt our own...small acreage though. it would be cool to have more land by leasing, but i cant justify paying for someone elses land when i can pay off my own.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Most people I know that don't hunt WMA'S are on a lease. The average lease is $ 1200 annually and most are near Georgia or in Georgia. I was on a lease in Perry,Fl. For 3 years it was 10,000 acres and they cap the # of Hunters per how many acres.

Typically a lease gives you more options than Public land. A $1200 lease fits a budget better than trying to buy 10,000 acres of land. Unless your Rich 2:
Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Spike

i bought a nice little property that borders a national forest. plenty hunting, no neighbors, and no lease or payments. plus...i dont have to buy a hunting license anymore.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by shawnkva
i bought a nice little property that borders a national forest. plenty hunting, no neighbors, and no lease or payments. plus...i dont have to buy a hunting license anymore.
This would be my top choice too.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

Deerstalker85,
If you are in need of a primary residence and a farm is an option, purchase a farm with acreage.

If you have money that is burning a hole in your pocket and want to invest in somewhere other than China(Stock Market) purchase some acreage and place it in conservancy status (no development). This will keep taxes to a bare minimum.

No spare money? Lease! BTW, in my home, "spare money" is rarer than unicorns!

I live on a small farm in northern Virginia and while I would like to purchase the adjacent parcel, its not in the cards; kids in college. However, since I have friendly neighbors who do have larger and more productive parcels, they allow me to hunt their land. So, my hunting itch is scratched with little more than some kind words!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

I grew up regularly hunting in 3 states on land that was owned by my late step-father. They were large & productive sections as well (he was very big into crop production & cattle, total acreage was in excess of 30,000 acres). That "dream scenario" lasted for 20 years until he passed to cancer in 2005 & within a year his kids sued my mother because they thought wills & laws didn't apply to them! we won in court of course but I in the end I was "sans land" until I purchased a nice place of my own here in west TN 4yrs later. (I used that 4yr "hunting drought" to brush up on my fall & winter fishing skills.) I thank the good man upstairs everyday that he put me in the financial position to be able to afford the setup I now I have.

As for leasing vs purchase, obviously there is more "acre for the dollar" with leasing BUT having said that EVERY SINGLE LEASE ENDS IN A LOSS at some point, EVERY ONE of them! I have alot of friends & family that have hunting leases & in EVERY single case I've seen those leases lost at some point & the most common reason is "mom/dad" died & the "heirs/kids" couldnt sell the land fast enough for the $$$. (DOUBLE ESPECIALLY TRUE if the heirs/kids are all out of state & have no emotional ties to the land, they just view it as $x,000,000 tied up in dirt)

I even saw it with a good friend who is a prominent eye surgeon here in TN. For over 20 yrs he leased a 20,000+ acre place near Carrizo Springs, TX. I mean it was a PRIME piece & he had spent a literal fortune on it in the years he leased it. He certainly could've writren a check for the place but he never pursued a purchase of it. Then the lady that owned it passed & the kids couldnt get rid of it soon enough & they never bothered contacting my bud about buying it. Basically the they said, "Heres your pro-rated lease payment back, now get all of your equipment off of our land & don't ever come back!"

My wifes dad & brother have now had it happen twice to them in the last 20yrs. You just aint nothing more than a "legal trespasser" if you are a leasee. I'd rather own 50 acres & have TOTAL control than lease 500 acres. Plus land is $ in the bank. Every $ spent on land stays on your balance sheet or in your estate. Every $ spent on a lease is GONE from your pocket & onto the landowners balance sheet!

Sorry to ramble on but it's just hard to make memories, especially multi-generational ones, on land without ownership for the above reasons.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daleintampa
Most people I know that don't hunt WMA'S are on a lease. The average lease is $ 1200 annually and most are near Georgia or in Georgia. I was on a lease in Perry,Fl. For 3 years it was 10,000 acres and they cap the # of Hunters per how many acres.

Typically a lease gives you more options than Public land. A $1200 lease fits a budget better than trying to buy 10,000 acres of land. Unless your Rich 2:
first off, you will never own that land..and ya dont get 10,000 acres for $1200, lets be real. and how many deer do ya get fer $1200? even at 4, which is rare, its $300 a deer, which you can buy deer meat cheaper than that. public land is way cheaper and there is allot more of it. a couple million acres here in texas.

2nd there are rules..when ya can go, who ya can bring, where and when ya can shoot, what animals ya CAN harvest

3rd ya never know who is and is not supposed to be on the property at any given time. check the forums, people get there stuff stolen all the time...i know i know...even on private property, but when there are more people around, the more yer chances go up to becoming a victim.

finally, time to pay another $1200, or go take down all yer equipment and bag it up and take it home.