Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks! This new rule is gonna be an eye opener to a lot of folks this year. The button I got there as of today is still the only buck taken. This rule isn't going to increase the numbers or opportunities you will get to harvest a deer. It's only gonna limit you to harvesting the really smart ones.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on taking a deer. i am trying to understand the wma hunting. Do you set up your stand right on an access road? Is there opportunity to get a couple hundreds yards off the roads? Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions I am just trying to understand this technique.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm a FL part timer. I have a house in Clermont and I've seen signs driving around the area identifying it as the Greenswamp. Is this the same place you guys are talking about? I'm 62 and I've been hunting for about 50 years now mostly in PA but I've been on several western hunts.
When I did live in FL from '99-'03 I wanted to go hunting but the regs and draws and whatever were just too mind boggling for me. I usually ended up just getting a non-resident PA license and going back up there.
I would really like to give FL a try though. Even if it only means tagging along with someone as an observer. Drop me a PM and maybe we can get together. Good huntin buddies are hard to come by.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
Thanks! This new rule is gonna be an eye opener to a lot of folks this year. The button I got there as of today is still the only buck taken. This rule isn't going to increase the numbers or opportunities you will get to harvest a deer. It's only gonna limit you to harvesting the really smart ones.
Yea ya got that right...cool deal...yea numbers will definitely be lower this year...no more spikes unless they are 10" or like yours antler less...gone are the days of the easy dumb spikes...gotta hunt smarter n harder
Old 10-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MaineRida
Congrats on taking a deer. i am trying to understand the wma hunting. Do you set up your stand right on an access road? Is there opportunity to get a couple hundreds yards off the roads? Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions I am just trying to understand this technique.
It's hard huntin for the most part...a lotta pressure in these WMAs...try to get off the roads and wear snake boots...lotta cotton mouths n rattlers...as far as areas to hunt...ya gotta put in the time n effort to find those...every FL. Wma deer or hog usually has a lotta wrk tied into the kill.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:28 AM
Fork Horn

i'm all for the rule change but it's going to take about 5 years to really kick in. i hunt joe bud and after they changed the rules up there several years ago everyone was bummed but now look at the place. it's full of giant deer, the rut up there is unreal. you actually get to see deer on a regular basis and active scrapes and rubs are everywhere.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alpine_Archer
i'm all for the rule change but it's going to take about 5 years to really kick in. i hunt joe bud and after they changed the rules up there several years ago everyone was bummed but now look at the place. it's full of giant deer, the rut up there is unreal. you actually get to see deer on a regular basis and active scrapes and rubs are everywhere.
Your time frame sounds great to me, I expect to be full time in Fl in about 7 years. I will start hunting it for 2 weeks starting next year. Probably focus on the swannee since it is close. This year I might pick up all the licenses but wouldn't have more than a couple of days to walk around. Being out of state I am not sure that spending a few hundred on licenses for a couple days is the best route.

If your not hunting can you go in scouting? I would not want to screw with someone's hunt but wouldn't mind walking some roads/trails.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

was able to drop 2 hogs at the GSW hog hunt... this one went 175 lbs. with 3 inch cutters
Old 10-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

This boar went 130 lbs.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

nice fat pigs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.