Hunting Question >

Hunting Question

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting Question

Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Grizzl,

Okay I will scout that area in Septemeber I hunt around that general area and there are always big rubs in 10A off muddy road I will try to find your tacks I will go past the 10C feild and take a right where the pine thicket goes into hardwoods and walk that line until I find a logging road.

I think we are sitting in the same general area becuase I walk about 30 more yards down and then go in right and it's thick and nasty it's almost hard to hunt but I shot a 11 pointer in 2009 trying to go into the thicket on the other side on the hill.

Thanks for the info...Do you have any spots in 6C that have big bucks I'm trying to get my dad on a big buck and I keep telling him 6C holds some monsters but when we hunt there we never even see a deer.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

6C doesn't necessarily hold monsters, its really just a travel corridor for them coming from either PW park side or the Cemetery/Golf course. 6C gets highly over hunted when they open up the gates. If the gates are closed you can bike back, and walk in about a mile. Best bet is to wait til the rut is in full swing and hit 6C, like Grizzl said, find the does. I passed up two diff eight pointers last year waiting on the big one!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Hoyt,

Thanks for the advice, I know you hunt Quantico I know the deer in Quantico hit the acorns big in October and early November but once the acorns are gone what do the deer in Quantico eat like mid-late November and into December I seem to get lost in the woods that time of year becuase I don't know what there eatting especially becuase quantico doesnt have alot of food plots and it heavily pressured come late November into December ?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd
Thanks for the info...Do you have any spots in 6C that have big bucks I'm trying to get my dad on a big buck and I keep telling him 6C holds some monsters but when we hunt there we never even see a deer.
I don't have any that wouldn't cut into Barry. 6C is hunted VERY Hard and the few places that are good for big bucks are know to a few and hunted in cooperation with each other (ie) they coordinate activities somewhat so they don't ruin each others hunt.

So I can't do that to Barry. Sorry
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Spike

Hey Hoyt,

Thanks for the advice, I know you hunt Quantico I know the deer in Quantico hit the acorns big in October and early November but once the acorns are gone what do the deer in Quantico eat like mid-late November and into December I seem to get lost in the woods that time of year becuase I don't know what there eatting especially becuase quantico doesnt have alot of food plots and it heavily pressured come late November into December ?
What is really happening is they go nocturnal. There is still mast crops and cutoffs with new growth to browse but they don't get up and move during day because of all the pressure. The trick is to GET IN EARLY and UP the tree and quiet 30-60 minutes BEFORE 1st light. This is when I use the hunters entering the woods as a tool and I try and intercept them going to bed. You don't hunt food sources you hunt escape routes to bedding..UNLESS you find them deep and still on the acorns..

Gotta find the bedding areas BEFORE season starts
Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Grizzl,

Yeah I understand I wouldnt want to step on Barry he has been very nice to me. I'm going to try 10A this year and try to hunt Mainside alot, I think the deer will be on the red oaks this year becuase my backyard has white oaks and they are not producing this year.

I have defiantly learned from your guy's advice (Grizzle,Hoyt)

1.Get in Early and sit all day if possible
2.Hunt Bedding Areas/Excape Routes when the pressure is on
3.Don't always think I'm going to kill a 130" every year I might have to eat the tag but I need to pass on the smaller bucks and be patient and persistent.
4.Scout hard and smart

Thanks for the advice and tips I will see how things work this year.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Spike

Grizzl,

Yeah I understand I wouldnt want to step on Barry he has been very nice to me. I'm going to try 10A this year and try to hunt Mainside alot, I think the deer will be on the red oaks this year becuase my backyard has white oaks and they are not producing this year.

I have defiantly learned from your guy's advice (Grizzle,Hoyt)

1.Get in Early and sit all day if possible
2.Hunt Bedding Areas/Excape Routes when the pressure is on
3.Don't always think I'm going to kill a 130" every year I might have to eat the tag but I need to pass on the smaller bucks and be patient and persistent.
4.Scout hard and smart

Thanks for the advice and tips I will see how things work this year.
1 BIG tip

Listen to the cross talk at the check station..listen as to where people are seing chasing/rutting..then see if you have trees in the area...NOT all areas see rutting at the same time. It depends on the local doe cycles, the food in the area and the Buck/Doe ratio..

Sooo..If you hear they are seen chasing..then that area MIGHT have the biguns running so hit your best spot in that area where you've confirmed Doe population and sit and watch...

THIS is A BIG part of my hunting especially when I only see the woods 3 weeks out of the year and I've done no before hand scouting...I LISTEN...

Conversely, watch what you say cause you may have others listening to you...personally...I like to share info with friends...not so with *some* others...

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Grizzl,

Okay I will defiantly do that.

My Father was in a area next to 16C last year and had a hot doe come by him and there where three big bucks fighting for her, There was a 4 pointer and to 8 points but the two 8 points where fighting for dominance.

I have never seen that happen in the woods I have only read about it the big buck came to about 8 yards but my father was unable to draw his bow as you no sometimes things happen quickly on Quantico the biggest buck ran off both of the other bucks and took the hot doe back up the hill.

We tried to hunt those 2 bucks but they seemed to dissapear after that first sighting he saw them on Nov 7th 2011

I have a question this might sound strange but in the past 11 years I have hunted Quantico about ever 3 years I have a year where I see nothing but big bucks the whole season but other years I can't see a big buck for the life of me have you ever wondered about that? Why some years no matter what you do big bucks just seem to come around and other years you can't find one for the life of you
Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Spike

Hey man , I've been reading your posts for a while now . I just joined this site . I'm 24 as well and I have the saaame problem brother . The BAse is too dang big man. But I have found some big bucks already this year so i'm looking foward too it . I have 3 areas with big bucks I either have seen or have on camera . All I can say is I put in ALOT of time scouting and I've figured out a couple of bedding areas. I do have to walk a good ways to all my hunting spots but I'm away from where mostly everyone else is gonna be and so far I've found , So are the Big Boys
Old 09-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Spike

I forgot to tell you , I hunt quantico too. It is tough