Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Florida "Special Opportunities Hunts" >

Florida "Special Opportunities Hunts"

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida "Special Opportunities Hunts"

Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Florida "Special Opportunities Hunts"

Last year I applied for Green Swamp West and got selected, much to my surprise. I was unsuccessful at getting a deer, the weather was very warm for February. In fact I only seen 1 "shooter buck that was a 7 point bookin thru an oak hammock, couldnt get a shot off but the buck actually dropped his 4 point side as he was runnin. So I didnt leave empty handed per say. But I did leave with a greater knowledge of how the so called "Special Opportunity Hunt" drawing works, Its more like a "Rich Mans Opportunity". I talked to guys out there that spent between $500 and $1500 just in application fees. I don't know about anyone else but I don't have that kind of money to put out just for a non refundable application fee, and then on top of that you have to pay $100 for the permit itself. This is a prime example of how the hunters of Florida are being raped for their money. There are many bike riders, horse back riders, hikers, etc.. that use the Green Swamp West and don't have to pay a dime. I applied this year and was unsuccessful, but I'm sure the rich boys got it. I think they need to change the way these permits are obtained to give everyone an equal opportunity at a special opportunity hunt and take away all these application fees.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i couldn't agree more. i believe if you walk, drive, fish, hunt, hike, bike, horseback ride, etc. within a W.M.A., you ought to have to buy a Florida W.M.A. permit....just like us hunters.