Almost got an Osceola Turkey this morning at Green Swamp >

Almost got an Osceola Turkey this morning at Green Swamp

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Almost got an Osceola Turkey this morning at Green Swamp

Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Spike

Default Almost got an Osceola Turkey this morning at Green Swamp

Today was my first time turkey hunting. I walked about a mile from my truck and was set up well before sunrise and enjoyed the sunrise and the forest coming to life. I was using a box call and slate but was getting no replies as first. I did hear some gobbling a long ways off though.
At about 9am an Osceola hen trotted about 10 meters from me, beautiful bird...I saw a little beard but decided to wait and watched it walk by. It never saw me.

I didn't see anything after that but that gobbling kept drawing my attention. So I walked in his general direction. I stopped ever 100 meters or so and tried calling him. All of a sudden he was hooked on my calls, I quickly moved to a field of palmettos between me and him with the tree line on my right. I put out a decoy and sat against a tree. For the next 30 minutes or so he'd gobble and I'd yelp,cut and cluck... all passionate like...he kept getting closer and closer...finally it sounded like he was less than 50 yards away but I still couldn't see him. Then nothing, no sound but the wind blowing in the trees, woodpeckers, birds that sounded like a dog squeaky toy and insects...but no gobbling. Every few minutes I'd do three quick clucks, nothing. Then a strong gust blew over my decoy. I sat there for what seemed like forever, but was only 5 minutes or so. I clucked a few more times and nothing. I decided it was game over. I started to squat up, I rose up 4 inches and I saw a beautiful Osceola jake just inside the tree line about 25 yards away. I froze, he looked right at me, spun around and bolted back into the forest.

I cursed myself and tried to cluck him back but he was halfway to Alabama by then. I dejectedly grabbed my decoy and walked back to the truck.

At the check station they said to NEVER move once you hook a gobbler, that they stop gobbling when on final approach. It may take an hour, but just be patient.
Lesson learned, if I had waited a few more seconds or minutes, I would have had a perfect 15 yard broadside shot of the elusive Osceola.

All in all, an AWESOME morning in the woods
Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it Rainmaker. Sounds like you had a real fun hunt, even without the kill.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:36 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Hahaha!! We've all been there! They were right when he's quiet, my dad always used to say "he's up to no good". When they get that close I would quit calling also, just try scratching in the leaves if anything. Sounds like your well on your way to getting a bird! Good luck!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

That's what it's all about, Rainmaker. The thrill of getting one up close when you least expect it is what gets my heart pumping like nothing else. Turkey hunting is a magical time in the woods. The more I learn about them, the smarter they become & the harder they are to get close to. The last 2 I killed came in totally silent & they blind-sided me. They came from the exact opposite side that I expected.Every single hunt is different, enjoy!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Spike

I've done that several times. I try to set up so I have a view for a long distance so I don't get inpatient
Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 AM
Spike

Smile

Ya it's definitely a learned skill you acquire by those experiences in the field. I have been busted as many ways as you can imagine. Over calling, under calling, gobbler strutting out of range saying you come to me and there's no cover to cut the distance...if I'd only set out a decoy before he flew down!
There are many challenges with the terrain like swamps where these Osceolas seem to love.
Keep at it and you will get better each time. The main thing is to keep at it. Once you start to kill a few you will be hooked...ocd like.
I have killed several 150 class whitetail deer and they never made me shiver with excitement as much as the bird I killed Tuesday morning at the West Green Swamp. He weighed 19.5 lbs, 9.25" beard, and 1.25" spurs. It went down in classic fashion. Snuck into him while gobbling on the roost. Saw. Him fly down and called him in for a 35 yard head shot.! Exciting stuff.
Good luck
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 AM
Spike

Smile one more thing

If you get your chance at a gobbler you should eliminate all possibilities of a miss by installing a rifled sight on your shotgun barrel and sight that bad boy in on paper at various ranges. This will tell you how far you can reliably kill the bird and give you the confidence knowing your shot pattern is centered with your sights. Experiment with different shot sizes between 4 and 6 as well as diff manufacturers. Bring a shoulder pad I'd you are shooting 3 1/2" they kick!
I use a True Glo sights but there are many other good ones!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a purty good hunt rainmaker. I gotta make it out there and give it a go. I seen a nice Gobbler 2 different times durin gun season. Hopefully can get in there and get him. Also thinkin about hittin the Upper Hills wma for turkey...heard theres quite a bit of em in there.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

ck Green Swamp West is loaded with big gobblers...hog huntin in there one weekend I counted 9 real nice gobblers and over 30 hens all in the same general area.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Spike

How many did you end up getting this year Rainmaker? I have never been turkey hunting, but am gonna next season. Appreciate the tips.