South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Coyote in VA.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Spike

Default Coyote in VA.

Out where we hunt (Culpepper, Va), there are a lot of Coyote. Last time we were out, I had just gotten in my stand about 200 yards down an old logging trail. It was about 5:00AM, and pretty still. After I had gotten situated, radioed my dad and step-brother to let them know I was in my stand, loaded my gun and got quieted down, I started hearing some yipping from the ravine 100 yards infront of my stand. It got progressively louder and sounded like a whole group of them. Now where we hunt it’s basically a 75 acre plot with everything from creeks to ravines, fields, and thick brush. We really want to try some Coyote hunting this year. They are classified as a nuisance in VA, and hunting is legal all year (except Sunday). So my question is what’s the best way to hunt Coyote in VA? I mean we’ve already proven that they are on the property, what area is best to hunt them, how should I attract them? I am planning on using a .243 or a 12 gauge to hunt them.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Spike

A fresh gut pile is your best friend if you want to nail yotes. I have a buddy that hunts them on my place, and waits till I call and tell him where the new gutpile is, then he runs over and sets up from a good distance and wind direction, and waits.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Spike

So say I go out a shoot a deer Saturday morning, field dress it and leave the gut pile. That evening, you think I get some 'yotes to come in
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DavidD.
So say I go out a shoot a deer Saturday morning, field dress it and leave the gut pile. That evening, you think I get some 'yotes to come in
Coyotes and other critters must take care of gut piles pretty quick because they are usually gone the next day.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Spike

About how far from the pile should I sit? How should I play the wind?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Spike

So, I bought a cheap Johnny Stewart call, just to test the waters before I jump on an expensive FoxPro. We went out for the first time focusing on Coyote on Saturday. About half way through the field we heard some greeting howls not 75 yards away. Very eerie sound. We didn't try calling or anything just focused on hitting the areas where we know they are. Didn't see any, but the birds and other small game were very skittish. I think what I'm going to do next time is set up my ground blind on the opposite side of the field and try and get them to come out of the woods along the opposite side of the field. Anyone here hunt Coyotes in Va?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Spike

We are at a great disadvantge here in Va cause we cant see them coming from a great distance like out west.If you want them dead find the den set up down wind and wait.Ive killed a few in Amelia and Prince Edward Co. They use the wind to smell trouble like a deer.They get educated easily too when you call and mess up.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Spike

We hunt in Culpeper, and our property holds Coyote, as they hear them everyday without fail. The field I plan to hunt is 150-200 yards across, and is surrounded by dense woods except for the path up to the field. I plan to set my blind at the crst of the field (basically there the path ends and the field begins. I'll set my call 50 yards in front of me playing into the wind, aswell as my little rabbit thing. I'd be using a .243, but once I upgrade to a .270, I'll use that.

The field is over 300 yards long. It has a very steep drop off near the second hald of the field, it goes down and flattens out. That bottom is surrounded by extremely thick woods and pine thicket and a creek. I'm thinking that's a very good place to hunt, or to place a secondary blind and position my brother.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

Got followed out by one last Friday evening. Kept hearing something move walking back to my truck. I park at my buddies house and he has a pole light in his backyard. Up near my truck I stopped and waited sure enough off the edge of the woods he stepped out. Threw my flashlight up on him and he ran back in. Heard him scurry through woods over to some neighboring houses and their dogs went friggen nuts.

3rd coyote I have seen near me.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Spike

Well, deer season closes in Culpeper this Saturday, and after that it's on! We hear them all the time and they are all over our trail cams. I'm hoping once deer season wounds down, they'll be moving a bit more. My brother and I did some scouting around the property and we believe we found their den sites near the creek. Hopefully I'll get a big party of us to go out after deer season and we can do some blasting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.