Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters!!! >

Greenswamp wma hunters!!!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Where ya been Camo?? we needed your advice and you were not here { -; ..maybe we can get together next year..

Yes sir..I thought he was talking about the Green Swamp WMA..
Old 01-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CamoCop
your fine on private property. Chuck thought you were referring to the w.m.a.
Yea, i realize this is a WMA thread.. my fault
Old 01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

well guys I have been out since new years and have only seen 7 deer all does except for the BIGGEST 8 point I have ever seen in Green Swamp and didnt even get a shot off at him, I was followin hog trails around the bayhead at 11:45am I glanced to the left looked forward said my god did I just see that looked again and there he was starin me dead in the eyes at about 20 feet away blew at me and booked back into to the bayhead, No doubt in my mine he was a 120" class on the B&C scale.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

other than that I aint seen mucha nothin, except some piglets...btw that big 8 I seen was in full rut neck was swelled up big, I really think the unusually warm weather gots em kinda messed up. the last doe I seen was intresting to watch, I watched her for about 25 minutes, in that period of time she only moved about 100 yds. eatin here and there before beddin down again, if this is a sign of most the deer behavior right now no wonder hardly no body aint seein much deer action.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Dominant Buck

My friend got an 8 last week..similiar to your experince..he never stand hunts..he just walks around.He got 2 like that last year..

I plan to begin doing some of that as well.Diffently a climber for archery..but alot more Still hunting for firearm..which takes a ton of patience BUT you are killing 2 birds with one stone..you are quietly scouting and hunting.

PS the 8 I saw was a 120 class as well..perfectly symetrical..at one time he was 15 feet from my stand..makes you sick huh..my rifle barrel at that moment was facing the right as I was waiting for another buck.{ I had heard this 8 point lay down to bed at 6:45} to my left. Every year..same thing. It was a scoped 270..1 second later he is behind a bush at 15 yds..his big fat tined rack slowly turning all the while to keep from moving the brush..he is totally silent as he moved.Even at 15 yds if I had not known he was there I would not have sen him..by this time my cross hairs are on his eye ball..my only shot..now his swollen neck is staight up sniffing the air..and eye is on me. My hand is slightly shaking from the weight of the rifle..been holding it now for a good 45 seconds..The buck knows something is up and I squeezze off a round..as the buck bolts..I begin a 5 day depression..that is one of the sickest feelings you can get.

The range showed at 15yds my rifle was 4 inches low..I had it scoped in for 300 yd fields at Three lakes..NOW my Green Swamp rifle is my 30-30Marlin open sited Tru Glo sites ...Costly mistake..

About 5 years ago ..another costly mistake..I called in a AWESOME 10 point..biggest deer I've seen in GS. I beleive another man got is lately.,.same area ..190 pounds on the hoof..That rack was incredable..probably a 135..I was sitting in a big ..
let's start from the beginning..I got to this place at 5:00..I had seen him once before as a silhouette at 15 feet..

OK at 7:00 a small doe walks by..as she does I hear a faint grunt..My bleat call was hanging up..} -: ..At 10;00 I was going to come down my stand.I gave one more bleat..and planned to read 5 chapters of John.My tree was so fat it concelaed my entire back{ This is a mistake} I thought I heard a little squirrel..I turned around slowly to see..and LOW and BEHOLD a giant buck full of horns is walking my way. I'm equipped with a scoped 30-30..I'm praying big time.PLease dont stop..BUT he did..I hear his loud stomping ..I wait about 10 seconds..slowly stand ..the deer has already done an about face..With oprn sites he's dead as he gave me a 1 1/2 secong complete broadside shot. 10 day depression coming up...and from here on ..the scope is off..After this year.I will not take another scoped rifle in the GS..NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-11-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

yea those experiences make ya sick alright...I keep a scope on my 30/30 but do have peep sights for close range. I'm gona go back out and try it again, last few days comin up.... Oh btw that big 10 point you are talkin about from some years back, I beleive I had seen that one in person, he checked it out 471 side, there was like 20 people standin around lookin at it, huge body and huge rack with mass, that was the biggest deer I have ever seen outa GS. Shoulda been in the buck registry.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Positives..

One good thing..it's nice to know that we have the skills to bring them in..

Nice to know that there are serious bucks out there.

Negative..you will probably get only one opportunity..you snooze..you loose.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

This weekend coming up is it..I may stand hunt in the morning and still hunt in the afternoon.
Decisions ..decisions..
Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Well General gun in Green Swamp is done, this is what I ended up with...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/memb...hes-spikes.jpg

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/memb...wamp-kills.jpg

4 hogs and a spike
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

You did excellent..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.