High Winds Friday & Saturday, Boys >

High Winds Friday & Saturday, Boys

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

High Winds Friday & Saturday, Boys

Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default High Winds Friday & Saturday, Boys

Accuweather is reporting higher winds than TWC...up to 20 mph N/NW tomorrow and 19 mph S/SW on Saturday. My best still hunting experience was on a day with high winds, but the combo of a full moon tonight with high winds in the morning might not make for the best morning hunt tomorrow.

Perhaps a still hunt is on for tomorrow afternoon as well as all day Saturday? I was looking forward to climbing a tree tomorrow morning but I don't think that's gonna happen. I can just see it now...a great buck walking out but unable to get the crosshairs on him 'cause the tree won't stop swayin'!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Accuweather is reporting higher winds than TWC...up to 20 mph N/NW tomorrow and 19 mph S/SW on Saturday. My best still hunting experience was on a day with high winds, but the combo of a full moon tonight with high winds in the morning might not make for the best morning hunt tomorrow.

Perhaps a still hunt is on for tomorrow afternoon as well as all day Saturday? I was looking forward to climbing a tree tomorrow morning but I don't think that's gonna happen. I can just see it now...a great buck walking out but unable to get the crosshairs on him 'cause the tree won't stop swayin'!
With the full moon and a couple things to do early in the morning, I plan to be in my climbing stand from 9 am to at least 1 pm tomorrow. Depending on what I see, I may stay put or move to another spot. Hunting partners have been seeing a lot of activity after 10:30 am the past 2 days.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good to know. I'm planning to still hunt at first light and look for an evening stand site that's not 1.5 miles away from the car. If it's not too windy, I'll climb a tree earlier at your suggestion. Can't complain about getting skunked if you don't heed intel from others in the field while you're at the computer.

To estrus, or not to estrus? That is the question. I don't necessarily want to hang it, but I'm thinking about leaving a scent drag and then getting rid of the lure. I spooked a doe I would have taken and I think it was from the estrus scent I used. She didn't blow or have a flag flyin, but she was in a hurry to move on. So maybe if I run a scent drag a nice buck will have a chance at picking it up and following it in. Though that also could spook a doe, but I don't think as much, unless she picked it up.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 11-10-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Totally not what the forecast made it out to be. 19mph winds? A couple of gusts...maybe. But that's all it was...gusts. No sustained winds even near that high.

Skunked again. I can't find heavy sign. Only occasional droppings on trails thru acorns. Still hunt or sit those and nothing. And wind changed directions...carried my scent I think.

Where are the deer? I think I'm going to have to "still hunt" quickly thru a lot of areas just to find out more about it. Catching a deer off guard will have to be secondary.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Ive been hunting and scouting the same area as last year....but.. this year no "good" signs of deer... did three hours hunting this morning.. with the leaves dropping as they were and the squirrels running around, it made it a little difficult to hear movement. But was still fun... gonna head back around 3 or so.....
hunting henry county
Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Saw a small buck this morning for a second at 80 or so yards. Gave a bleat call his way and he never looked my way just kept nose to ground. Leaves falling so thick and heavy made it hard to see and hear.

Checked trail camera on way out. 7 pictures of no. 1 on my hitlist. All at night along with 3 or 4 smaller bucks.

Back in stand now where trail cam is windy as crap. Got scent in the air and plan to make some noise to get something moving in the day time.

Glad I don't get seasick or I would be treesick right now.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw a small 3 pointer Friday morning about 10:30 am. Got down from my climber about 12:45 and drove to a different location. Wind died down to nearly nothing at around 4pm.

Saw some type of buck with a pretty good set of antlers cross to my left about 200 yards away. Tried a couple bleats from the can but I think he was too far away.

About 10 minutes before last shooting light I had a doe walk out and start feeding around on red oak acorns. Kept hearing more deer walking around and eventually 3 more doe came out and joined the first one. I kept waiting in hopes that a buck would walk out but it never happened. I picked out the biggest doe, took aim and shot. The 240 grain XTP took out both shoulders and she never took a step. The farm I was hunting on is an "Earn a Buck" county, so I was really happy to get the doe!

Went out this afternoon and did not see a deer. Sure wish we could hunt on Sundays! Oh well, I'll be back out Monday morning.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-12-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
With the full moon and a couple things to do early in the morning, I plan to be in my climbing stand from 9 am to at least 1 pm tomorrow. .
I hunt the field and woods around my house and got up at 7:15 am this morning to see 6 does and a nice 6 or 8 ptr in the field near my blind. But I got a 4 ptr this evening. See my post in the blackpowder forum for the complete story.