Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Va WMA?

Old 08-08-2003, 09:37 PM

Default Va WMA?

I am planning on hunting in Va this year up around rockingham county in the nortwestern part of the state and also Fairystone WMA, Has anyone hunted or heard about these areas?I have read that Fairystone has a trophy area that has been managed for the last 5 years,I will be hunting archery and Blackpowder.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:57 PM

Default RE: Va WMA?

You are prob. better off in the National Forest than the WMA' s in that area. Is Goshen WMA too far away? That place is huge.

Chubber
Old 08-12-2003, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply,I' m from eastern north carolina so i' m mostly looking for some areas that I don' t have to contend with dog hunting,I used to hunt with dogs but now I prefer to stillhunt.and everywhere around my area they hunt it to death with dogs,so theres not a whole lot of deer management going on.Any more info would help from those who read this!!
Old 08-13-2003, 11:19 AM

I' ve hunted the National Forest in Rockingham county for years. If you have any specific questions, I' ll try to answer them. The area is mountainous with some areas being very rugged. Deer are not hard to find and there is a large number of bears around. Hunting pressure can be high in some areas, especially close to the access roads during the first two or three days of rifle season. If you' re willing to hike a mile or two into the woods you can find some good places and no other hunters.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Patrick Co. VA and have hunted Fairystone WMA for several years. It is a great place to hunt! lot of deer and turkey in this area
Old 08-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can' t speak for Rockingham county but Fairystone would be great.......I also think during bow season you could go just about anywhere and not disturb other hunters.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the info,We are planning on hunting the upper nortwest corner of rockingham county in the bluehole area between the german river and shenandoah river,Has anyone hunted the trophy area of fairystone and if so how did you do
Old 08-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have hunted this area for years. if you want to find a place to hunt copy these instructions down. take route 33 west towards rawley springs. turn right onto route 612, this will be about 10 miles out from harrisonburg. route 612 will turn to the left about two miles out, follow this until you hit an intersection and make a left, about a half mile down the road you will see a church on the left, a forest service road will be on the left as you pass the church. this is a hardpacked dirt road and will take you to the top of the mountain, the drive alone is worth the trip. at the first intersection you hit going up the mountain (about 8 miles) make a left, follow this road until you come to a large clearing on the left. at this point, if you go straight ahead, it will take you across the top of second mountain. once you come to the power lines for the second time start looking for a place to hunt. if you make a right at the large clearing, that road will take you out to dictum ridge,. there are deer in the area and plenty of bears. oh, if you happen to see a grey toyota with a cap on the back, stop by and say hello.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the info!! hopefully I' ll get the chance to check out the area when we go up in the fall,Its always good to have a backup plan in case the other area doesn" t work out
Old 08-25-2003, 07:27 AM

I' m still looking into finding that info for you. I' ll should know something by the middle of the week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.