Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Looking in NC

Old 07-29-2003, 06:35 AM

Default Looking in NC

I' m presently looking for someplace to hunt in Harnett/Cumberland/Lee Counties. Just got back from Iraq and most of the open slots in any clubs are just too expensive. I' ve been in the around 13 years and am pretty familiar with the goings on in the area. I would much rather contribute some work toward improving the land/hunting instead of shelling out cash. My 15 year old daughter would be accompannying me part of the time. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:14 AM

Default RE: Looking in NC

MMR,

Have you considered getting a permit to hunt on Bragg? I hear they practice QDM and they got some big bucks. You could also come on up to Raleigh and hunt on Jordan. Drop me an email to [email protected] , I might know of an opportunity in Johnston county. Take care!

-Hector
Old 07-30-2003, 05:39 AM

Hector, I hunt Bragg quite regularly and have for the last 13 years. However, I do occasionally enjoy having an area all to myself with my own setups and scouting that is not interupted by troop training or deer hounds. I was in a club in Lee county and enjoyed putting in the food plots, feeders, etc and watching how the extra work paid off, however, the price started getting too high. I' ve looked at some of the public lands and haven' t gotten off my butt to actually check them out. Maybe it' s about that time. I really enjoy interacting with the landowners and helping them improve their property whether it' s putting up fences, clearing brush, or digging ditches. It helps give hunters, as a group, a better name. I will drop that e-mail later, about Jordan. It does sound very interesting.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:58 AM

i have had good luck at jordan and also sharon harris. i know harris is smaller but if you don' t mind walking a little bit you can really get into some good deer areas at harris.

hector-- where abouts in garner do you live? that right where i' m from. and family still lives there.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:45 AM

Click - I live on the Johnston county part of Garner, near Cleveland School Rd., off of Hwy 42. I consider it Clayton, but it' s a Garner address. It' s pretty nice out here and the people are pretty nice.

We have a club out here that is on 800 acres and stretches from Guy rd. on Hwy 70 to about 2 miles from Hwy 42. It' s a nice piece of property too. MRM - We will probably have some openings next season in our club. The landowner is a developer, not a farmer, but we are allowed to work the property if we want. Got off to a late start this year, but next year I will try to get one of the local farmers out to plant some soybeans or other crops. We have a nice sized lodge on the property, but it needs some work.

Last year I hunted at Sharon Harris and you are right they have a bunch of deer. From the Hwy 42 side going into Chatham county, I was scouting the northeast side of the reservoir up toward a small peninsula and almost got stampeded by about 10 doe! I may wind up hunting up there some this year too.

If anybody is up around my way and wants to do some hunting let me know.

-Hector
Old 07-31-2003, 12:51 AM

MRM - Btw if you are interested in hunting Lee county, right down the road is Sharon Harris. You should check it out....lots of deer out there. Same for Chatham county.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:25 AM

not too bad man yur just right down the road.

drop me a line if you think you will have any openings
Old 08-05-2003, 07:40 PM

Thanks, Hector. Unfortunately I' m gonna have to pass this year. Got the order to go back to Iraq. It truly is disheartening. I don' t even think I' m going to get to shoot at any doves. Best of luck to you all this season. I' ll be looking forward to some of your stories when we return.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:35 AM

MMR - be careful out there. If you get back in time to enjoy some of this season shoot me an email and you can be one of my guests. Take care and be safe!