Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting in VA

Old 01-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Spike

Question Hunting in VA

Hey guys...I am from NY where I grew up hunting and fishing on our family farm my whole life. I am now stationed at Fort Lee, VA with the Army and I was wondering if anyone on here could help me out with some information on good hunting land in VA?

Thanks
-Monte
Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

in southcentral southwest va you have turkey**** mountain and fairystone state park as pretty good public lands, and there is a qdm on fairystone which should start paying off.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Spike

Thanks!! Ill try to check those places out
Old 02-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Go back to New York to hunt as you can hunt on Sundays there but not in Va
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by montb20
Hey guys...I am from NY where I grew up hunting and fishing on our family farm my whole life. I am now stationed at Fort Lee, VA with the Army and I was wondering if anyone on here could help me out with some information on good hunting land in VA?

Thanks
-Monte
Since you're in Fort Lee, the closest public hunting land would be Chickahominy WMA. Go over the Harrison Bridge at Jordon Point and pick up Route 5 east. Take that a little ways past Charles City and then follow the signs into Chickahominy WMA.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=1

As with most public WMA's in Virginia, it's best to try to go during the week. Saturdays can be extremely crowded and utterly ridiculous, not to mention almost downright scary! During firearms season, there will be so much blaze orange, the place will look like a flippin' pumpkin patch!!

From one New Yorker to another (I grew up in Poughkeepsie, NY and still have lots of family and friends still up in NY), let me give you a quick "heads up" about Virginia.

* There is no hunting on Sunday.
* East of the Blue Ridge Mts during firearms season, people deer hunt with dogs.
* West of the Blue Ridge Mts, it's wide open country. But, it's a loooooong a.$.$ drive - especially from Fort Lee, and they don't run deer dogs.
* Last but not least, do what I did this past season: Live here, work here, but choose to not deer hunt here. I went back home to upstate NY and hunted on my sister & bro-in-law's horse farm, and even got a nice buck - ON A SUNDAY!

Where are you from in New York?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
Since you're in Fort Lee, the closest public hunting land would be Chickahominy WMA. Go over the Harrison Bridge at Jordon Point and pick up Route 5 east. Take that a little ways past Charles City and then follow the signs into Chickahominy WMA.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=1

As with most public WMA's in Virginia, it's best to try to go during the week. Saturdays can be extremely crowded and utterly ridiculous, not to mention almost downright scary! During firearms season, there will be so much blaze orange, the place will look like a flippin' pumpkin patch!!

From one New Yorker to another (I grew up in Poughkeepsie, NY and still have lots of family and friends still up in NY), let me give you a quick "heads up" about Virginia.

* There is no hunting on Sunday.
* East of the Blue Ridge Mts during firearms season, people deer hunt with dogs.
* West of the Blue Ridge Mts, it's wide open country. But, it's a loooooong a.$.$ drive - especially from Fort Lee, and they don't run deer dogs.
* Last but not least, do what I did this past season: Live here, work here, but choose to not deer hunt here. I went back home to upstate NY and hunted on my sister & bro-in-law's horse farm, and even got a nice buck - ON A SUNDAY!

Where are you from in New York?

Actually, there are some counties that are east of the Blue Ridge that Do Not run dogs.

Edited to add: Taken from the VDGIF website:

Dogs May Not Be Used For Deer Hunting:
  • West of the Blue Ridge.
  • East of the Blue Ridge in Bedford, Fairfax, Franklin, Henry, Loudoun, Northampton, and Patrick counties, and Amherst(west of Rt. 29), Campbell (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), Nelson (west of Rt. 151), Pittsylvania (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), and the city of Lynchburg.
  • When hunting during archery and muzzleloading seasons and on the Youth Deer Hunting Day.
  • On many military areas. Check individual Post regulations.
  • On Amelia, Cavalier, Featherfin, Pettigrew, C.F. Phelps, and G. Richard Thompson Wildlife Management Areas.
  • During the first 12 hunting days of the firearms deer season in Madison and Greene counties

Last edited by VAhuntr; 02-07-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Monte, welcome to Virginia! Thanks for serving our country and protecting us from the tyranny that is out there. I transplanted to Virgina a long time ago back in the late seventies and pretty much grew up here hunting, fishing and trapping. Heck, when I started hunting here you were only allowed two deer a year and one deer a day. Doe days were few and far between. Now we get three bucks and four does on our first set of tags and can by doe tags by the pair on through the season. The season run pretty long and there are loads of deer to be had. I dont know much about Ft. Lee, but if you head north to Ft. AP Hill, they do a lot of deer hunting up there and I would imagine that a service man would get a good opportunity there. Hopefully there are some good souls that would give a service man a chance to hunt with them down your way. Take care and the best of luck to you. I think you will find that deer hunting in va. rocks!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Spike

Hey guys thanks for all the info!! Yeah the no hunting on Sunday is definately a different thing for me. Without Sunday the only day I'll actually get to hunt is Saturday. I think Im gonna try to get some turkey hunting in here but probably save some leave time to get back to the farm in NY for deer season. I am from the Western part of NY, near Jamestown. I have seen some deer here around Fort Lee and they look like dogs compared to the ones back home. I am excited for turkey season here though! I hear there are some big birds around. I talked to a guy here on post and he said Fort A.P. Hill was the place to go so I think I'll give it a try unless I can find a farm owner around with some private land to hunt. Thanks for all the help everyone!