Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Rut activity?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rut activity?

Have any of yall seen any rut activity in Alabama,I know its just the first week of Jan. but I usually see more than I have so far.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Spike

not much in talladega county so far. Where are u at
Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Im in Cherokee county
Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not so fast - while for a lot of Alabama the typical peak of the doe estrus is indeed mid to late January, where I hunt in SE Alabama near Pittsview, it ain't. The first estrus cycle is more "Yankee" like, with the usual timing late November through mid-December. For example, a friend of mine killed a doe on Jan. 8. It had been bred long enough ago to be carrying two embryos. Emnionic sacks were about the size of a soft ball. We had as many as 8 guys out during the time frame from Jan. 8 -18. We'd stay out until about 11:30 am and hit is b ack around 1m. Despite this being prime habitat, with hundreds of deer on trail cameras, we saw squat during daylight hours. While only about 35 miles up the road towards Union Springs, the bucks were running the does hard.