East Tex -Hill Country Comparisons >

East Tex -Hill Country Comparisons

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

East Tex -Hill Country Comparisons

Old 01-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default East Tex -Hill Country Comparisons

Having hunted both Pineywoods and Hill Country, mostly Pineywoods I have seen some strange differences and wonder if any of you have noticed the same things.
First, the deer are more relaxed in the HC. They will come out in the open more and are not as alarmed by sounds and smells. I have been able to get within touching distance to HC deer several times. Also, they don't seem to be as nocturnal as ET deer. I know that the HC deer are not stupid, but it looks like they are because the ET deer are so spooky!
I know that there are probably more people close by and more poachers in East Tex, maybe this is the reason.
Anyway, I am looking forward to season after next, I am going to hunt ET one or two more seasons then I am going to be hunting the Hill country and maybe along the Hill Country area that borders South Tx. where the big ones are!
I know that in many areas of the HC the deer are now as big or almost as big as the East Tex deer, with better racks too! I love the Big woods hunting and am not a lazy hunter, but I have grown tired of all the upkeep of shooting lanes (brush grows very fast with a little rain in East Tex.) Here lately there are too many poachers and too much timber cutting in East Tex. too! I am also tired of only seeing one or two bucks a year here.
Well I guess I'm just ready for a change, and am wondering if anyone else sees this the same as I do!?
Old 01-29-2002, 12:41 PM

Default RE: East Tex -Hill Country Comparisons

Frank, I've lived in both areas, but I've never hunted deer in East Tx. I hunt just outside of Gatesville on the north border of Ft. Hood. Our deer there are healthy, but I don't have anything to compare them to sizewise. There are many of them though. Normally (other than this year) I see at least 5-10 deer per day, bucks and does and not all shooters. I have killed a 10, 9, and 8pt (among others) and the 8pt was by far the biggest of them all. Field dressed at about 125#, and I still want to have the antlers scored. I can see where the maintenence could get to be a drag year after year. I have a question for you. I remember the clear cut zones around Lake O' the Pines and wondered if the resulting regrowth attracted deer like I think it might. It seems to me that they would like the tender new trees and ground cover. Do you have experience in this? Thanks

Edited by - GoTres on 01/29/2002 13:44:28
Old 01-30-2002, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

GoTres, I don't have any experience in that particular area, but as a rule, deer love the new growth of clearcuts!
as I said, after next year I am going to try finding a good HC lease. I am not actually looking for just easier hunting, but better hunting, with better chances of good bucks. Having hunted both Hill Country and East Tex, sometimes it is almost like the HC deer are stupid compared to ET deer!
I guess that the ET deer are just a lot more shy so to speak than deer of some other regions! I am not knocking Hill Country deer, I've hunted them before, and it still takes good hunting skills to get a good HC buck!

Edited by - frank on 01/30/2002 06:04:41
Old 01-31-2002, 03:05 PM
OG
Spike

Something to think about, just a theory. The hill country has a greater population of deer by far than East Texas, therefore more population equals more competiveness, for food, breeding etc.etc. With more competiveness for the above reasons would the deer be more apt to lower their guard to focus on more of a survival of the fittest so to speak. Not a solution just a theory.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

OG, I believe that you are right, the difference in population and food sources are the big reasons for the different deer behavior! If you have hunted both regions, you have seen these differences too! It is just amazing, the contrast between the behavior patterns of the same animal in two different regions!
Come to think of it, these contrasts go to show us that we should not be so critical of how people hunt from region to region and state to state. It is like hunting totally different game, and what works one place won't work in another! Wherever they are though, the Whitetail is a trophy animal, and consistantly harvesting them, usually takes good hunting skills reguardless of where you are!
Old 02-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Frank, how are ya? I live in the Southern region of East Texas and I also hunt here. I live on 13 acres that is surrounded by hundreds of acres of thick pines. For the past 3 years I have dedicated all of my hunting time to my 13 acres. I have yet to take one deer. This has been my choice of course because I could of taken a few nice 115" to 125" class young eight points but I let them live another day. My father also lives in another house on the same 13 acres and he has seen a true monster stalking the back woodline on our property. He does not hunt this acreage but he wishes he had a gun at that moment. He said this deer could easily match up with a mature South Texas buck both antlers and body weight. I have talked to many of people in the area and alot of them have seen some big ones. My uncle who lives down the way has seen a monster this past deer season. He is not hunter but he watches the deer on a daily basis. He has seen many of bucks run through his property over the years but this one out did them all. These deer have plenty of cover to hide in. I mean a bunch! You could walk by a deer within 10 yards of you and you wouldn't of even known that it was there. The big bucks are here but you have to up the anty on your hunting skills to get a shot at one. No doubt about it.
I have also hunted the Hill Country exclusively. I've hunted in Kerr, Gillespie and far-out Edwards County to name a few. The Hill Country has the highest population of whitetails in all of Texas. Too many deer and not enough forage which is why the deer are smaller both body weight and rack size. I hunted on a meat lease outside of Fredricksburg years ago and I would have 15 to 20 deer around the feeder at one time.lol It ain't like that back home. The most I have had at the feeder on my areage is 10 and that was a lucky day no doubt. The average is about 4 to 5 and that is not all the time. If you are going to get on a lease in the Hill Country, make sure it is a decent one. One thing about the Hill Country that I truly love is how beautiful it is. I love hunting out there because of the quietness and the scenic hills and gullies. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Johnny, I love East Tex too. I am staying on this lease for at least one more season before I go out west. I talked to a guy yhat has hunted this club for almost 30 years, and he says that over the years he has seen very few "good" bucks! It just seems that there aren't real good genes in this area, for some reason. There are good areas nearby though. But, when I get off this club I'll probably head west! I know what you mean about the Hill Country beauty too! I hunted in Sonora, Texas and it is drop dead gorgeous there!
Some of the East Tex bottom lands are beautiful too! It is a hard choice to make!
Old 02-06-2002, 12:27 AM

i was born in east texas and have also hunted south texas. thereare just many more deer in south texas. a very big problemin east texas counties is economy. people have to kill to eat and poaching is a big problem. the deer are chased year around in these counties. i hunt in red river county,clarksville, and almost 80% of that county is on government assistance.