Florida state deer hunting >

Florida state deer hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida state deer hunting

Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Spike

Question Florida state deer hunting

Hi I am new to these forums so please bear with me. I am trying to find places that I can go in florida to deer hunt on a meager salary. The best places would be where I could camp preferably but still be accessible by car. Oh it might help to mention I live in south west florida so the closer the better. I know the deer are typically meager in my part of the state so I will have to do some driving, just hoping for any input I might be able to find.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Spike

Go to myfwc.com and you can find a map and list of all the public land management areas. Some areas have rules specific to that area.....just find where you are on the map, look for the ones close to you, and read the rules, regs and legal to take animals for those ares.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. As Im sure you noticed Im new to this. At least in Florida anyways. Any specifics on which regions are better for deer would be helpful also. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in NW Florida where you at?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

I would say the farther north you go, the Quality and quantity will increase. I live in Tampa and Hunt Richloam mostly and will now be Hunting Private property. Richloam is about a 40 minute drive for me. If I had the time, I would prefer Hunting North Florida around Perry.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Spike

Do you know anything about croom, green swamp or chassahowitzka. I'am also new to hunting florida and trying to get my daughter her 1st buck.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

croom and green swamp would be the better places of the ones metioned. Chasshowitzka has a tough crowd of locals and too many dog hunters, same as richloam. There are nice deer there but its not worth it to me to hunt chazz and richloam. There has been some nice bucks taken from croom this year though.

Your best bet would be to wait for the limited entry quota hunts and find one that is smaller and hosts less people. This time of year in any area that isn't quota only is going to be crowded with tons of people exspecially dog hunters. That being said if you hunt the more crowded areas your going to want to get off the beaten path and find some areas with less pressure.

Getting a buck on public land down here is hard work and takes lots of scouting or just some luck. I've hunted like a madman this year at several WMA's and still have come up empty handed.

Last edited by Alpine_Archer; 11-30-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

when r the limited entry hunts and how do you apply and when
Old 11-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

http://myfwc.com/RECREATION/Hunt_LimitedEntry.htm