Coyote pack in central va. >

Coyote pack in central va.

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Coyote pack in central va.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Coyote pack in central va.

I went to my lease in Culpepper Co. on Sat. morning to hunt out of one of my stands. It was 5:15am and I had turned off my truck and rolled the window down and about two hundred yards down hill from me came the most god aweful sound I think I have ever heard in these here woods. It was a pack of coyotes running down a deer or some other animal. It sounded like there was eight of them and they were running all through the woods at first and started circling around. The intensity of the yips and yowls built up to a fever pitch until it sounded like they had bayed whatever unlucky animal it was. Then it sounded like they were pulling it down and making an even loader noise. Finally they must have killed whatever it was as they started fighting over it for quite awhile. Eventually they grew silent and I never heard them again. All this took about twenty minutes.
During all of this not one single dog barked in that area and we have a lot of neighboring farms and homes that have dogs barking all the time. Those dogs did not want anything to do with those coyotes. After all that I figured there was no way I was going to see a deer as my stand was pretty close by to where they were at. I am going back there on Fri to see if there is any hair or sign of what they were attacking. I have never heard anything like it. Just curious if any of you all have heard anything similar. I guarentee you one thing, you will never forget the sound once you have heard it. It reminded me of what a pack of hyenas sound like when they are making a kill versus what a pack of wolves would sound like.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default yup

Yeah... it is an ungodly sound isnt it? We have them on my lease in Emporia as well...... I havent seen them yet, but you can hear them at night.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

i hunt in wakefield and i also heard a pack of atleast 4-6 coyotes last sat. around 5:45am. sounded like they were chasing something also cause the noise went across a field and back into the woods. this all happened in about 2min. and across the street from where my property is. defenitly pretty wild to hear, gave me the chills cause that was a first for me.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Yup they are coming this way, I heard one the other night
Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Spike

Been hearing them the past couple nights, the other night i heard the most ive ever heard. Im about to start baiting/calling them and hunting them at night. Too many near our property and they are getting very confident near our house. They chased down a dog the other day, felt bad for it but i couldnt see it or get it so nothing i could do.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Spike

Is there open-season on 'Yotes in Virginia?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe these dang wild hogs will start eating the coyotes. Almost any place in south Alabama and NW Florida where I hunt they will yipe and howl every afternoon about dark close by.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

TheDeuce, there is an open season on Coyotes and some counties even have a bounty out on them. I am going to start bringing a mouth predator call with me when I hunt. When it is too late to shoot a deer I will blow on it and see if I can get some of them yotes to come in for a look. I think we need to thin them out some.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Spike

Good to know! I think I may have found a new mid-day hobby between my morning and evening deer sits...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

I live in rural subdivision in Gloucester and saw one in my front yard one morning. My jaw dropped! Also, I hunt in Tappahannock, never saw a yote there, but everytime a siren goes off yotes start scream'n

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.