Neighbor shooting into my land >

Neighbor shooting into my land

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Neighbor shooting into my land

Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Spike

Default Neighbor shooting into my land

My neighbor has just set up a box blind that is less than 50 yds from my property line and he is looking and shooting into my land and another neighbors who has not given him permission. Is there any laws against this and does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Inactive

If you know who it is, have you tried contacting hin and talking with him ? It may be a great start.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

As long as he's not shooting animals on your land and there are no houses around I'm pretty sure he's legal. I've seen lots of hunters setup stands and blinds right on property lines where animals cross. As long as the animal is on his side of the fence when he pulls the trigger he's not breaking the law.

I would still get the game deparment involved. Contact your local game warden and see what his take is on it...
Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Shoot Back!! LOL!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what you mean by "shooting into my land." If you mean "shooting towards my land," he is likely legal, assuming safe distances from buildings, etc. If you mean that the bullets are actually landing or passing through your land, then, at a minimum, he could be charged with trespass.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

i was told you cant shoot across a property line and if you hunt a property line you cant face the others property, you have to face your own property. but thats what i was told and i havent actually read up on it so i may be wrong.
if it were me i would just talk to the guy first
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 AM
Spike

From the VDGIF website

"Trespass violations, posting property, and access issues are all concerns affecting landowner's considerations for allowing hunting. Hunters are reminded that it is unlawful to hunt on private property without the permission of the landowner, and hunters must have the permission of the landowner to track or retrieve wounded game on private property."

I clarified this with a conservation officer, and he said that it is certainly against the law to shoot an animal while it is on somone else's property. If somone is setup in a manner that will have them shooting onto your property, then by all means, alert a conservation officer.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

So that is fine for Va but the OP is from North Carolina. That might not apply there. Look up the regulations, talk to a Game official and have him show you the exact applicable regulations then take the time and show your neighbor. Be polite and show him what the Game Official gave you. If he persists then call in a complaint and let those you talk to know that you have personaly shown him the law. Then let them do thier job.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default no reg.........

Well unfortunately there isnt any regulation prohibiting shooting across a property line. There is one that says you cant shoot across a road, and as pasted in this post, there is one that says you need permission to hunt on someone elses land but nothing about shooting. Now if your worried about your neighbor shooting a deer thats on your land while he's on his... then you got him breaking the law. But if all he is doing is setting up facing your land waiting for deer/game to cross to his side and them blasting away... he is well within his rights. Now dont get me wrong... is it safe? Is it ethical? IMHO, no. Why don't you set up a box blind facing his less than 50yards from his property line. You dont have to sit in it... but then he doesnt know that does he? Make sure that you have BIG posted signs on the property line right in front of his blind... facing his blind.,... bigger than life stating hunting/trespassing not allowed!

Opppssss I must correct my post... #51 of the Local Firearm Ordinances says you cant discharge a arrow to land on anyone elses property without their permission. But that is only for Fredricksburg.

Last edited by Alex G.; 09-16-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: mistake