Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

skunked

Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 AM
Spike

Unhappy skunked

Well, its my second season hunting and I STILL haven't got a deer or a turkey and have no access to any property either Man this sucks, esp. when all you think about is hunting. Well how has your guys' season gone? Post some pics and tell the story..
Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear you were skunked, it happens to everyone at some point or other. I had a good year considering my time int he woods was very limited, I managed to put 3 in the freezer and really only hunted about 8 or 9 times total all season. Saw deer everyday I was out so it was a enjoyable year.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

took me 10 years before I finally got my buck....took me 3 years to get a turkey...I'd get so frustrated, every year the same thing....be happy to just be in the woods...it'll happen....every day hunting is just a day closer to your harvest.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

God works in marvelous ways...He put me on deer during archery..I just never took them..I had 3 within 15 yds..busted every time..He guided me to move my stands when I continued to hear hogs..very next hunt..2 nice black hogs walked within range..I hurried my shot and the buzzards enjoyed a 125 lb plus hog..BUT the Lord assured me I'd be getting deer in the freezer..then out of the blue I got an email from a man { I thought was mad at me} wanting to know if I'd like some game..He gave me a nicely cleaned 1/2 hog and 1/2 deer including chops and tenderloins from both animals. THEN , as most know I met another hunter who took me to Three lakes where we hunted as a team..He happened to shoot 2 hogs and 1 nice deer and split them with me..so there ..I got my hog and deer. { -: God works in marvelous ways..By far ..IMHO Archery is my favorite way of hunting in the Green Swamp..While it was dark I hung up my bow..Right at day break I was watching a clearing I looked at the ground looked up again and 2 does were walking toward me 15 yds away..I reached for my bow..END of story. Same thing happened again..I saw game this year at the Green Swamp about 60 % of the time..if you include turkeys . so God provided..I just need to wake up.
Although I saw no bucks..I saw fresh buck sign alot..real fresh..I even heard him . I ended up seeing 3 fawns and 4 good does..while in my stand..ALL were close except one bedding doe about 70 yds away..I though it was a paper bag in the field..until she got up and trotted off. It was during firearm season anyways so ..it's ok..{ -:

Honestly..it's cheaper to buy lobster tails and fillet mignon than spend the resources on hunting...so hunting must be for more reasons than venison..I always bring my New Testament to hear from God..I love the quietness and sounds of nature..and of course the challenge.I love practicing with my bow and getting good groups..and the icing on the cake is seeing a deer, hog or turkey..If I drop one..I will fall onmy knees and worship the Lord befor ei leave the woods..for it came from Him..and if I don't get anything I'll thank Him for His wonderful creation..Hunting should be a win win situation { -; score or no score

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-18-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Had a great time in the woods this year. I was tripping over deer and turkey all season. I ended up with five, three and a half in freezer and gave one and a half away to my friend. Got a nice large five pt. and a pretty eight pt:

They ain't the biggest deer in the world, but they are our deer here in Virginia.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

took me 3 years to get somethin with my bow...and i think i went 2-3 years fer my 1st deer, although we only went once or twice a year at 1st..now i am bangin em and we go out and stay in our blinds all day, and we see more deer cause of it.

can you not afford a huntin spot? public lands is awesome if ya cant, its like $40 here!!!and we have over 2 mil acres to choose from....be surprised how much land is available close to ya!!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

now i am bangin em and we go out and stay in our blinds all day, and we see more deer cause of it.

Amen..I 've seen many deer past the 11;00 am HOUR..
Old 02-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Spike

First of all I would like to say sorry for replying sooooooooooooo late, I've just been so busy in school work. But all of your guys' experience helps me stay enthusiastic (even though I am 24/7 about hunting, lol).
eng40sqd- yeah, hopefully i wont be next year though haha, and sound good, love to hear about people baggin deer.
huntnma- Man those must've been some long 10 years, but thats very inspirational.
Chuck7- Thats what im talkin about, thts true, God does everything for a purpose, and nice story of how u got meat in the end of it all.
rafsob-those are some MIGHTY nice pictures, great to see that you were successful!
halfbakedi420- thats awesome good to hear your bangin em, hopefully ill get one my third yr too, hopefully a turkey this spring too, lol
Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Do you live in a state that has hogs?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

cvillehunter--if you get a chance to get over to Quantico to get a hunting pass for next year, please let me know. I will take you out in the early season and at least get you onto a doe.

Brett