Green Swamp Checklist >

Green Swamp Checklist

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Green Swamp Checklist

Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Spike

Default Green Swamp Checklist

Hello planning on doing some hunting in green swamp for the first time next week. Ive never hunted in Florida before and would appreciate some insight from others to insure I am doing everything by the books before i go.

I have obtained a:

Hunters education certificate
Florida state hunting license
and a resident management area (WMA) permit

aside from these is there anything i need to get before I am legally allowed to hunt on this land? And is a quota permit the same thing as a mgmt area permit, and if its not do i need both?

Any other miscellaneous tips regarding greenswamp would be hugely appreciated ive never been to this location and any tid bit of info would be worth gold to me thanks

Brian
Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally would not invest in the hunt..BUT since you are determined...{ -:

SOme quick pointers..

The hog is open during the samll game from Jan 16th through Feb. 14th Sat. and Sunday only.
Only the 471 will be opened as 4/5th of the swamp is closed to hunting.

List..SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT
A..Mosquito Protectant..I use a Therma Cell.
B. Climber...and all attachments including safety harness
C. knife.
D. Rubber gloves to clean hogs.
E..Trail tacks
F. Head lamp with batteries
G. Game cart if ya got one..
H. Cell phones are useless there
i. Reading material..you may be a while before you see anything
J Cover scent..hogs have a great sense of smell.
This is my personal list
K You will be oin Levee road..hunt toward the river..or Bull Run

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-02-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Spike

Welcome to the forum BrianG. You have what is required to hunt green swamp, unless you want to shoot a turkey, which requires a turkey stamp ($5). I'm assuming you are aware that the general gun season ends next weekend, therefore not a lot you can do to familiarize yourself with the swamp in that short time. After GG, you can hunt during the small game season, but only Saturdays and Sundays in the Cumpressco unit.

I've only been hunting GS for the past 3 years so I'm no expert and can't give you a lot of advise. There are people in this forum that hunt there all the time and I'm sure they can give you some pointers.

My experience is:

1. GS is not an easy place to hunt but there is game, a lot of game, there. I didn't see anything, and I mean anything (including squirrels) the first 2 years. This year my efforts payed off. I hunted every weekend since archery and saw deer and hogs every time. They were too far to shot with bow, but I had a quota for the 2nd weekend and bagged a 90 pound sow. I also saw a big buck last weekend but didn't have a shot opportunity. I also bagged more than 15 squirrels in 3 morning hunts with my 11 year old son.

2. You need to scout a lot in order to figure out the place. There is game close to the roads, but you'll have a better chance if you go were other hunters don't go (deep into the swamp).

3. You can get lost in no time. Make sure to take a GPS and/or compass with you (I always carry both).

4. The first year I hunted there I bought a map from the 471 check station operator. Don't know if they still sell them as I only hunt from Rock Ridge now, but ask. The map is good, in my opinion, and have some details that ca help you with your scouting.

5. The place gets crowded some times, so be careful.

6. Use a tree stand. I have a ladder stand, a blind and a climber stand that I usually leave there during the hunting season. Although someone can steal them, I had no bad experiences so far (took them home today as it was the end of the GG season for me). I prefer the climber as, again my opinion, you need to be at least 20 ft. high if you want to see the deer.

7. Plan to hunt ALL day. Most people there get to the stands very early in the morning, but leave them around 9-10 am. While they move around, they are making game move and you will have a better chance if you stay in your stand at least until noon. Me, I get to my stand when is still dark and get down when it gets dark (I usually sit for 12-13 hrs.) If you plan to sit for that long, come prepare, both mentally and physically. Bring something to eat, drink and read. Be careful with the reading though. Somehow, deer in the swamp seem to "float". In 2 occasions I was distracted reading just to find that there where does moving close to my stand. Also, make sure to have an empty water bottle, as you'll fill it if you sit all day.

Again, I'm no expert, but the above had worked for me so far. I learned most of it by reading posts in this forum, so you are on the right track by asking questions here.

Good luck

Last edited by LoloBond; 01-02-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

To answer your question about the Quota hunt permit. You do not need one and a Management area permit is not the same. The quota hunt permit is a opportunity for Hunters to apply for early hunting season. During the first nine days of Hunting season, if you do not have one, you have to wait till after the first nine days. But this will be something to consider on June 1st. go to www.myfwc.com click on hunting. then go to quota hunt permits and you can learn about all the application periods.
The management area permit is a licence to hunt on State run land.

You have all you need to Hunt GS. you will obtain a daily permit at the check station.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Chuck said get a game cart. Im going to wait untill I shoot somethin and just call Chuck....................and ask him to bring his.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Spike

Thanks a lot guys these replies have been very helpful appreciate you guys taking the time to write the in depth replies
Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Fork Horn

No prob Brian. Im on my out there right now. I drive a silver explorer. see me, say hay.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be out there this evening. (Green Nissan Altima) If you haven't already, read the Green Swamp thread. Lot's of good info in there.