Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Crooms?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Crooms?

Any of the FL guys ever Bow Hunt in the motorcycle area at Croom? I used to ride my dirt bike there a few years ago, and I remember seeing quite a few deer. I used to try and chase them through the woods. In case anyone was wondering, deer vs motorcycle is no contest, deer just run off and hide! Anyway, I used to see more deer there in one visit than I've seen all Bow season in GS.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Spike

In the seventies,when I was a kid living in Tampa, it was a popular place to go on week-ends, ride YZ's, hang out and do stuff. I didn't hunt back then though. But I thought it was pronounced Croons with an "n". Wow! I haven't even thought about that in place years. Thanks for the post.

Last edited by corn bread; 10-31-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: insert a word
Old 11-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

no, it's pronounced "CROOM", with an "M", not an "N", or an "S".

we still ride and camp up there. but, i haven't hunted that place in a number of years since i've been able to hunt some private land in Georgia. back in 2001 i shot a buck with a muzzle loader in the major portion of the WMA. i've hunted in the motorcycle area with a bow in the past but i never was able to shoot anything. the times i saw deer moving was when bikes were near and the deer were moving quickly so i was never able draw on one. i used to hunt on the north end of the motorcycle area. because it was less of a walk in to my stand. because i could drive my vehicle to the fence line through the main portion of the WMA. plus, it takes longer for the crowds to get to the north end in the morning and they'll push some deer towards you. good luck to you if you decide to hunt it.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Croom, muzzleloading?

How many deer where killed during the muzzleloading weekend?
Do you think the deer are or have already rutted?
Thanks John
Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Spike

I got picked for both Muzzle loader and general gun. I just hunted Friday of Muzzle and saw a few does while driving. Nothing while on stalk or stand. I had Doe permit also. Dad hunted all weekend and shot a huge buck in the north end but it was never recovered. They found blood and all and where it laid up but it kjust stopped. They looked for 4 hours and brought a hound out as well. No luck. He said Sunday they had 21 deer checked in.

I just hunted Sat and Sun of general and couldnt go today but I saw plenty of deer just the wrong kind. No doe permit for this hunt. I saw a coyote sunday and was about to shoot and he high tailed it. I saw a bobcat and 2 kittens walking the same trail as well. One was almost black. Weird looking. Dad and Brother also hunted today (Mon) they saw 15 does this morning and 4 does and 1 buck tonight. Brother is in wheelchair so he was moving to get a better look at the buck and get steady and he spooked and blew at him.

I think the rut has already happened but not positive. Deer were moving late in the morning around 930-1130 and just before dark for both hunts. Only saw one deer early morning and I jumped it walking in to stand.

Good luck to ya if you hunt this place. Beautiful WMA for sure! I will be back to hunt before the first 9 is up.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I also hunted Sat and Sun. Did not see anything. I am hunting a new area becuase of pressure in my other area during muzzleloader. The deer just do not seem to be moving much, everyone that I talked too says the same thing. Thanks for the response , I will be out there Wed or Thurs. John
Old 11-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Spike

what area are you hunting in? You can send me a message if you dont want to discuss on here. I can point you in some direction to where we have seen them frequently. You have a doe permit?
Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

No doe permit. Hunting near motorcycle area. I will send you a message. Not like I have the hot spot. lol
Thanks john

Last edited by bornagain64; 11-18-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: added something