Rattling and calling ? >

Rattling and calling ?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Rattling and calling ?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rattling and calling ?

This time last year (Oct 15) I had a nice buck come walking up a ridge right at to me but I missed. then 2 weeks later (Oct 29 ) a little 6 came in with his nose to the ground chasing 3 does. last year the temps were not as low as they have been this year. I am always one to just sit nice and quite but sometime I think I should try rattling and calling. I know the does will more then likely come threw around 8-9:30 I dont want to scare anything off. So do you think its to early to? If not what time do you think would be better. Thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't witnessed any, but several of my buddies have been seeing bucks fighting lately. I'll definitely be rattling this weekend.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

i can't say that I've ever tried rattling where we hunt bushanic, but I use the grunt quite often. I won't say they don't fight and it wont work, the buck I killed last year on 14A was fighting with another before he came in to me grunting at him. trial and error my friend!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found the most effective time to rattle is right around Halloween-November 7th or so. I rattled and called for years at the wrong times. Two years ago I rattled in an 8 pointer and killed him on November 7th. Last year I rattled in a monster 10 point on October 30th to 20 yards but I could not get a shot.

So here is my advice given my short experience rattling. Do it at the right times, and do it sparringly. If you are going to hunt in the morning, wait until you can see your pins, then rattle lightly if you are close to a bedding area, light enough to be heard maybe 100 yards away, and only rattle for 10 seconds or so. Sit tight and do not rattle again unless you absolutely feel it will work. That is how I killed that 8 pointer. I was 50 yards off a doe bedding area and rattled just like that and 2 minutes later that buck came in to 7 yards.

Last year I snuck in October 30th to a place I just knew a buck was bedding. I waited 1 hour after I got on stand to let things settle down and then rattled like heck for 30 seconds, full bore. I was not around a bedding area, but more like a saddle. 1-2 minutes later that brute showed up.

I am learning that rattling can be effectice, even on Quantico, but it has to be at the right time, place, and type of rattling. It will be fun to try it out again this year, but I will not overdo it because I usually just like to sit tight.

Good luck Rick.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I had two more day to use before I lose them so I went to my spot in Oakgrove Va. Wednesday morning got on stand by 530am and saw noting try rattling around 11:30. I had not seen the usual deer traffic the whole morning so I figure I wouldn't scare anything off.After an hour of rattling (15 second wait 15 minutes try again)nothing. Cant do an evening hunt its that family thing (homework,dinner,wife has class you know how it goes)

So Thursday morning I get to the stand a little late 645am (Back problem acting up) As I am getting ready I hear something coming so i hide behind the tree in hope it will just past but not I hear three bounces and what ever it was is gone. So do I use the climber now or do I go over to the ladder stand 60 yards over(spot for the kids) I pick the climber I can get a lot higher in it. At 1030am I hear someting behind me thinking it a squirrel not Nice buck 45yards out try a grunt nothing gone 30 minutes latter the does come though same way never seen them use this route before. Now I think may mistake was to use a dominating buck scent has a cover after the first deer busted me in the morning but the wind was swirling I dont know they got one up on me . at least I got to see some deer. Thanks again

Last edited by bushanic; 10-22-2009 at 01:32 PM.