Quantico Hunting 2009

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Quantico Hunting 2009

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Quantico Hunting 2009

Hey,

Was curious if anyone has had any luck on Quantico this year I been down there twice and the big bucks defiantly are not moving yet but very soon
Old 10-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Weather changing, end of october early nov, its on
Old 10-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Spike

Default Any Quantico Pointers?

Hello Everyone,

Anyone willing to give any pointers on hunting at Quantico?

I have the base permit, I just haven't gone on base yet. It seems like it could be a hassle checking in and out but I hear a lot of good things about the deer hunting. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

what are you doing ? (Archery, Gun) Its not that bad to check in or out well maybe on opening day but after that its not bad. I will let you in on one pointer you need to do some scouting and get to know where you are hunting. There are a few Quantico Hunter on here and they have help me a lot. This is my second season (Archery only) on base I have miles of tracks on my GPS and still need more. The training area (T/A) you wanted to hunt might be close that day so having a few spots is key. try scouting with the net on http://mapper.acme.com/ or Google earth. If you don't have a map of base stop by and get a few I have one at work in the car and in my pack it is a must when I call in and a area is close I just cant remember all of them. So welcome to the club. Let me know if I can help.Rick
Old 10-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Spike

Thanks Rick, I have always gun hunted before but I'm trying out the crossbow this year which I like since it gets me out in the woods earlier. I've been hunting some public land and havent had anything close enough for a good shot yet. I've heard the public areas get real busy during gun season so I thought I'd start going on base after ML.

I work on Quantico so I think I'll heed your advice and do some scouting after work before the time changes and it starts getting dark earlier.

I saw a nice buck about 6 am Monday across from the museum.

Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Lenbenjs PM sent let me know if you didnt get it
Old 10-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Spike

got it I'll give you a call in the AM-thanks
Old 10-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Yes I agree scouting is key to killing the big bucks on Quantico especially since it receives to much hunting pressure a good tip is learn the T/A off 610 Garrisonville and Joplin alot people hunt inside the base becuase of the hassle to hunt outsdie the base at times scout these areas and go deeper then the rest and u will shoot big buck
Old 11-28-2009, 05:32 AM
Spike

Default Key to shooting a Quantico BB

Pass on the small 8's...these deer follow other deer to protect themselves. Unless you get lucky in the rut..you have to wait and pass on lesser deer.

Every area has them..archery and gun areas. the bigges two on my avatar one was archery only the other a gun area the opposite side of the base.

I regularly pass up 115's waiting for a P&Y. No many people will pass up a 115
Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

So you pass up 115 inch bucks on Quantico? For some reason I have a hard time believing that one Grizzl. The reason I say this is because only about 2% of the buck kill on base involves bucks larger than 115 inches...maybe 5-6 bucks a year get taken that big by bow each year. Unless you have amazing skills, one might only see 1-2, 115 inch+ bucks a year on Quantico....if that. And I said "see", not get in range of a bow. If you are getting multiple 115+ bucks within bow range, and have killed multiple 130 inch bucks on Quantico, then you are the man!

Originally Posted by Grizzl
Pass on the small 8's...these deer follow other deer to protect themselves. Unless you get lucky in the rut..you have to wait and pass on lesser deer.

Every area has them..archery and gun areas. the bigges two on my avatar one was archery only the other a gun area the opposite side of the base.

I regularly pass up 115's waiting for a P&Y. No many people will pass up a 115

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.