Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
New to hunting at Fort Stewart >

New to hunting at Fort Stewart

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

New to hunting at Fort Stewart

Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Spike

Default New to hunting at Fort Stewart

Actually, let me be honest, I have never hunted. I have been shooting for over 25 years, but never had the opportunity to hunt. I have shot rifle and pistol (both civilian and military) with decent accuracy, but never at anything other than a paper target or soda can. After a conversation with my father in law last week, he loaned me a Remington Sportsman 74 in 30-06 and told me to return it after deer season. I'm looking for some pointers on everything from loads to camo to technique, but I am also looking for someone willing to spend some time with a newbie. My wife will be leaving for basic training in November and I will have a lot of free time to hunt.

Let me make it clear, I know nothing about hunting and/or game prep, but I want to learn. Any willing teachers?

Scott
Old 10-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-18-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I was also stationed at Fort Stewart...I'd like to hunt there as well but when I read the rules..I gave up..The place looks very difficult to unless someone who knows the riules can help you out. There are alot of snakes there..

here are some things I've learned over the years..hunting on public property..

!. Get away from the place where the other guys ae parked..Game can be pretty much found everywhere..

2. They need to eat..hog and deer love acorns.find some acorn trees { Oak trees} or land that borders a farm.

3.Deer love thick swampy areas the best..the folage is short and thick so they get sun ...the water is there..and they can hear their prey coming whch gives them time to book..I mostly hunt areas like this.INSIDE of bayheads..

Sitting on the outside of a field...doesn't usually pay off. In a public place the deer are mostly nocturna;{ Meaning they feed all night and hide and sleep all day}

4, Some necessary things you will need to carry with you....

A. trail tacks..when you find your spot you will stick glow in the dark tacks in the trees all the way bak to your truck..This way you can find your spot in the dark. Trail tacks are 2.99 a pack at Wlmart..I'd buy 10 packs personally..because you will find about 5 different spots..

B. Try to be in your stand an hour before dark..That first hour is your best chance...

C. Most hunters use a climbing deer stand ...They range from 50.00 to 350.00..Deer have incredible senses ..especially smell and you will want to be about 14 foot up in a tree at least..If money is no issue Summit makes great stands..Practice using them on a tree before taking it ot the woods.

D. Bring a compass..being military you know how to use one...it's very easy to get lost at Fort Stewart..

E. INvest in a Thermocell Mosquito Repellant ..22.00 plus a 10.00 carrier..You simply click a button and the mosquitoes stay away..

F. Bring a knife..I carry a folding buck knife..

I wear the military comaos and a front pack that wraps around my waiste..this holds my Thermocell, New Testament, Buck Knife, Trail Tacks, Bak up mosquito cream in case Thermo doesn't work ..

In my camo pockets I carry a compass, ,,deerstand rope that attaches me to the tree..my skinny rope I pull the rifle up with ..hunting license...and in my back pocket a pair of rubber gloves..

Also.you can study the terrain by looking on Goggle Earth...I use Google Earth alot when scouting { Looking for deer signs}

I look for areas that border farms and huge areas that get skinny in the middle.{THis is called a funnel} and increases your odds of finding game..Deer Hunting is an incredible challenge..You will learn that quick..

During the rut I also bring a deer call The Can by primos..I suse this about every 30 minutes..IT WORKS...during about 1 month of the year..usally somewhere between Nov. and Jan the females are in heat..the bucks move alot more looking for these hotties..{ -: The Can call sounds like a doe looking for a buck..

Here's what "The Can " looks like..

Another goo dcall is the Grunt Call..you may blow this once as well ..This tells another buck that there is a buck in the area..Bucks are territorial and do not like this ..He will grunt back..If he does ..put your grunt call bak in your pocket..DO NOT blow it again..He knows where you are and will come to investigate..Of both calls..I've had the most success with The Can.
cost about 6.00

Last edited by Chuck7; 10-17-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's me at Fort Stewart bak in 1976..LOL..There is alot of water there..I was a point man so I lived with a compass and map..

We always found alot of sheds { Deer antlers that fall off in Feb.} they were huge..There are some monster bucks at Fort Stewart.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-18-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Ron,
Hinesville GA has changed alot..very nice now..I like their super Walmart..I saw some nice bucks form the Fort Stewart site..they look very nice to me..

here's 4 bucks from last year at Stewart..
http://www.stewart.army.mil/dpw/wild...eer_photos.htm

Last edited by Chuck7; 10-19-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-18-2010 at 09:47 AM.