Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia Opening Day >

Virginia Opening Day

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Opening Day

Old 10-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bush...from 3:30-6:30pm. I have a couple go to spots on 14A if you have any trouble finding a decent spot. They are perfect for the W/N/NW winds that we are expecting this Thursday. I could send you the map if you are lost as to where to set up. Best of luck Rick, I hope you put an arrow through one.

Brett

Last edited by virginiashadow; 10-07-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Spike

Sounds a lot of fun for everyone already! Haven't got a chance to the wood yet. Plan to go to Quantico this Saturday afternoon. Wish it a good starting day.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rick, PM sent.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Took out a six pointer on Sat. The deer came out of a different trail and I had to stand up and lean over a cedar tree top that grew next to the tree my ladder stand was on. There was a doe in front of him and she kept looking up in my direction, so I had to move very SLOW. The buck came in at an angle and I could see his ribcage in my sights and he was getting very nervous, so I took the shot. The arrow hit right behind the front shoulder, but angled up into the body cavity versus coming out the other side. Needless to say it did not leave much of a blood trail, and I decided to wait until the next morning to follow it since light was fading fast and I had not found the arrow and was afraid that it may have been a bad shot. The next day I followed what little sign I could find for over 300 yards. I found the buck, but I believe a bear found it as well. He ate the entire hind quarter and half the tender loin on one side and a quarter or so of the other hind quarter. I have seen dog and coyote damage before and this was not that kind of sign. Oh well, have to go bear hunting next......
Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Brett PM sent Thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Been too busy to get in the woods. I am hoping to get out there next week.

Ya know for a retired guy, I am too busy.

I should be out in them woods hunting backstraps!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hey I'm also a Quantico Hunter only been down there once so far went to 9C saw three does the Big Bucks are still moving slow looks like right now still alittle early anybody else have any luck on Quantico yet this year ?