Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Green Swamp Hunting >

Green Swamp Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Green Swamp Hunting

Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

im gonna be stuck in a car again, last year in the swamp i went down 3 run after a couple good days of rain n my car started a floatin, thankfully i have a peppy little chevy front wheel drive with a 2.2, that got me thru it...ive actually come to find the car dont handle to bad as long as u dont get into ruts higher than about 8-10 inches, just gota play it smart and do a little prayin...lol
Old 08-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Last Friday I hunted Sarasota ALL day & on the way home, 1/2 mile from my house, my '98 F150 with 138,000 miles fuel pump died out. Police were right behind me - wouldn't let my buddy pull me 1/2 mile with a tow strap. Cost me $82.50 to get towed 1/2 mile. Thank God it didn't break in the middle of my hunt.When I hunt Green Swamp this fall I will also have a spare alternator in the tool box just in case. Mud is certainly an issue to watch for, but if you have a high mileage vehicle, don't forget about fuel pumps, starters, alternators, etc.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

richwrench, Did the Police say why your buddy couln't tow you ? I would like to know what law that would break cause I never knew you couldn't do that.
I would have waited for them to leave. then do it. for a 1/2 mile, I would tell the cops to go blank themselves.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 AM
Fork Horn

Dale, it's illegal to tow on a public road with a chain or towstrap. You have to use a towbar or a dolley, and I own neither. I've used towstraps all my life, just never been caught yet LOL. That cop refused to leave - he sat right behind me with the lights flashing. There were a ton of cops flying back & forth through that intersection that night. There must have been something going on. Then they see ME all camoed out with my NRA & deer head stickers on my truck & they probably thought I was some gun-nut redneck (so what's wrong with that?) & they didn't want me plugging up their intersection. Oh well, first time in 138000 miles I had to be towed, I guess I was due...
Old 08-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

I've always got away with using a chain with a piece of pipe in the middle. Never had any trouble over here. I would have waited till night time and towed her home lol... or went and got a fuel pump and slapped it in on the side of the road.

Last edited by Alpine_Archer; 08-30-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alpine_Archer
I've always got away with using a chain with a piece of pipe in the middle. Never had any trouble over here. I would have waited till night time and towed her home lol... or went and got a fuel pump and slapped it in on the side of the road.

LOL - It WAS the middle of the night - that cop was stuck to me like glue - He said "Either you tow it right now, OR I WILL !" Plus the fuel pump is inside the fuel tank, so you have to drain the tank & then remove it to gain access to the pump. Back in the good ol' days, you could replace a mechanical pump in 10 minutes with a half inch socket. I miss those days...
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

That Cop was an A-Hole. I dont think he has the right to tow it if you didn't. I think you have a certain amount of time, like 72 hours or something like that. But I could be wrong.
That Cop must have just gone through a divorce or not happy at home. Maybe his Sergeant is Banging his wife. Cops dont have a very good reputation for marriage.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by daleintampa
That Cop was an A-Hole. I dont think he has the right to tow it if you didn't. I think you have a certain amount of time, like 72 hours or something like that. But I could be wrong.
That Cop must have just gone through a divorce or not happy at home. Maybe his Sergeant is Banging his wife. Cops dont have a very good reputation for marriage.
LMAO I believe you have between 24-and 72 hours after it has been red tagged depending on where its broke down. The cop was just eing an *******.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Spike

Today there was alot of people out scouting. Must have been 10 trucks at the gate on 471. The water was higher then I have ever seen it in my 2 years of hunting Green Swamp. There was so much water that I seen Gators in the fire breaks today .
Old 09-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I was worried about that...my spot must be swamped out..I'm glad I drew a quota for 3 lakes..it's a little drier in my spot.

Sounds like I'll be hunting Three lakes this year..I don't like water over 10 inches deep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.