VA Hunter Check IN >

VA Hunter Check IN

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Hunter Check IN

Old 09-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by virginiashadow
I wish all Virginia hunters the best of luck. Please post up some pics or maybe just a story of your success in the woods. Remember, success isn't always defined by a dead animal. BEST of luck guys.

VA Chucker--how is the GWNF? I have always wanted to bowhunt there, but haven't gotten too serious because I hunt Quantico. If I did hunt it, I would go up there and camp out for a few days to make it worth the travel. Please give me some insight as to whether the trip is worth it. Thanks.

Brett
Brett,
I have hunted up there the past 6 years. It is by far the most challenging area to hunt IMO. Public land has its issues then throw in super sensitive deer that have limited exposure to humans. Then throw in hikers and random hunters that you have no idea how they stumbled by your stand since you are miles from any road or trail? I think you have the right idea about camping and digging in for a few days. There are plenty of deer up there however once they are pressured they go high and deep in the woods. Big woods hunting is humbling but I love being up there. I finally found a local private patch to hunt, so i wont be treking up the GWNF as much. But when i need an asswhoopin... i will head up there. Tons of black bear up there too. Nothing like big woods hunting. I dont want to discourage anyone from heading out there... its just not the same as sitting in the corner of a corn or soybean field.
If you head up there my advice would be to hunt high in the AM and low in the evenings (use the thermals to your advantage).
Old 09-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in Cifton, VA and I'll be hunting Thompson WMA, GW Forest, and some private land.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Chucker--if I do go I would hike in deep and try to find some less pressured deer during bow season. I appreciate your advice on the thermals, it is something I would take seriously.

hubby11--the biggest 8 pointer I have ever seen was in Clifton. I was driving to work in Fairfax and driving down some backroads in Clifton and saw him......unreal buck. Probably a 22-24 inch spread and MASS. It was a monster buck for anywhere in the country.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Spike

Hi all, I live in clifton/centrville, will be hunting some private land in chantilly, and hopefully some land in the northern neck, and any where I might get permission in prince william hopefully! and maybe belvoir if I find a bow, hoping to get my first deer!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

cville--go get em! I hope you kill your first deer this year. I wish I had an extra bow to give you, because I would. The only extra bow I have is a bulky old bow that is heavy and tough to pull. It still shoots well but it is tough to handle.

If you could get a bow and get accurate up to 20 yards or so, you could probably take a deer or two in Chantilly.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 AM
Spike

Howdy. New member here. I am from Blacksburg and hunt Giles and Montgomery counties.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

I'm in Charlottesville and will be hunting Albemarle & Pittsylvania counties.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

From Henrico County and I hunt Henrico and Caroline counties.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by virginiashadow
cville--go get em! I hope you kill your first deer this year. I wish I had an extra bow to give you, because I would. The only extra bow I have is a bulky old bow that is heavy and tough to pull. It still shoots well but it is tough to handle.

If you could get a bow and get accurate up to 20 yards or so, you could probably take a deer or two in Chantilly.
Thanks for considering letting me borrow a bow , well I went out this morning till about 12 but didnt see any deer(as most times) any tips? any body else hunting urban archery? i did notice the creek on the property i hunt is completley dried out..
Old 09-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Spike

amelia county checking in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.