Georgia info??? >

Georgia info???

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Georgia info???

Old 01-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Spike

Default Georgia info???

I'm considering a move to the NW Georgia area (Marietta). How's the huntin' opportunities in that part of the state - or how far would I have to travel to put myself into some good areas for deer and turkey hunting? Is it mostly private land or is there lots of good public areas?
Old 01-24-2002, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Georgia info???

LUV2HUNT, I can't really help you about NW GA.Funny thing is I'm considering moving up that way myself.I'll be curious to hear the responses you get. I hunt in SE GA now.Down this end there are hunting clubs, I know several who lease land instead of joining a club. There are a few of us in my party that lease a couple hundred acres.Clubs seem to cost allot more money to join then going out and finding land to lease.North Georgia is beautiful. I wonder what the job market is in these trying times? Good luck. Ruger Redhawk

Edited by - ruger-redhawk on 01/24/2002 18:05:57
Old 01-24-2002, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

LUV2HUNT Another thing, I'm not 100% but I think there are Counties near Atlanta(Fulton co.) that there is no huntin'You might want to check in to that also. Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-25-2002, 07:19 AM

Ruger-Redhawk,
The Atlanta-metro counties (Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb) do not have a ban on hunting, they are just predominately bow-only.
In response to the question regarding hunting around Marietta, I would suggest looking for a club/lease in the following counties: Heard, Early, Meriweather, Troup, or Coweta. Meriweather, Troup, and Coweta are to the Southeast of Marietta and offer some great hunting. Depending on exact location, it would take you around 40 to an hour minutes to get to your location from Marietta. Troup and Coweta both have 4 points on a side or 15" inside spread rules for the entire county, so you have a number of mature deer. I hunt with a friend on a lease in Meriweather that offers phenomenal opportunities. There is usually at least on 155-160 class take each year, to go with numerous 140s. They have a tape of a deer from this past season that is easily B&C. However, most of the land in these counties are in clubs that are quite pricey.
Heard and Early counties are more due East of the Atlanta area and sit right on the Alabama border. These counties, while not quite as well-known as the previously mentioned ones, are beginning to offer some great hunting, at a more econonomical range. But again, there isn't much public land, most opportunities will be in clubs. As for time to get there, you would be looking at 30 to 45 minutes.
If you really want public land, I would recommend looking around Columbus or Macon. There are numerous opportunities aroun both of these cities, but they are both over an hour away.

I hope this helps!
Old 01-25-2002, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-25-2002, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Robert Hunter first of all welcome to the board. Thanks for the inf about hunting around Atlanta.I thought there was no hunting period.That's good news.Thanks again Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-26-2002, 06:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duke13 Theres Mountains in Georgia???
I'm in H E double L over here in south Burke county and Screeven county. I moved here about seven years ago and have not been anywhere north of Interstate 20. Except in Augusta. I miss mountains and snow ! aaahhh snoooow hmm, the good ol days.