Homosassa Hog Hunt Help

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Homosassa Hog Hunt Help

Old 07-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Homosassa Hog Hunt Help

Hello,

I was lucky to get a quota for the last Homosassa Hog hunt in Feb 2010 this year. I have never been to Homosassa and given family constraints I probably will only be able to make it out there for the weekend of my hunt. Can anyone PM me with info on Homosassa regarding pigs? Or can someone tell me the type of terrain to look for or any pointers for hogs? I can download aerials and anything that will help locate potential pig spots, but I am not sure what to really look for except maybe water. I have only gone deer hunting so going out for pigs will be a new experience.

I think I am going to go Saturday after lunch scout around and find a place to hunt Saturday evening of my hunt. If I find something that looks good, I may try to go back on Sunday of my hunt weekend.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I only have 2 wheel drive and do not have access to a boat.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Spike

while you are scouting, you want to look for areas where they have been rooting. pushing the ground up with there nose. But you want to find fresh areas. If around water look along the edges for wallows, where they roll around in the mud. also look at trees around the water/mud. if you see mud on the trees, trunks. that is where they rub themselves on the trees. hogs are difficult to pattern. especially on the WMAs unless you spend some time out there. if you are going in the fall, oak trees with acorns on the ground will be good areas also.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Kemster99,

Thanks for the reply. After I find a nice freshly root up area, does it matter if I hunt in the morning or evening? The only hogs I have ever seen have been in the evening, but I saw them on a deer hunt and have never targeted hogs.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Spike

won't harvest anything sitting in camp. have to put the time in the stand. hard to say what would be better evening or morning. I find most of mine rooting in the morning when the dew is on the ground. little easier to root. I always look and see if there is a couple days worth of rooting in the area. there is something they like.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 PM

Try to arrive at least one afternoon before the hunt. Find a couple of water holes with real fresh rooting. Take a comfortable chair snake boots and a light to use and get back to the truck. Sit and listen until you here hogs fighting as they come to feed. Listen to the squeals and try to distinguish by the sound if they are young pigs with their mom are big boars fighting for dominance. Once you have located the size of the hogs by the squeal go back the next morning and set in your chair down wind. About 2 hours befor light. If the hogs are already gone back to bed find the trail they used with the tracks going to the field. About 2 hours before dark set up about 200 yards from the open woods or fields which ever be the case. Take a large bottle of imitation vanila extract and a pkt of berry mix like you use in water mix together and put in a clean spray bottle. Spray on bushes in a area where you can see to get a good clean shot.

Cripple Creek Guide Service
Pontotoc Country Mississippi.