Fort AP Hill Hunting >

Fort AP Hill Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Fort AP Hill Hunting

Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Spike

Default RE: Fort AP Hill Hunting

Forgot to mention another buddy that camps on base with us killed a 14 mount with incredible mass in SA1 this year.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BigDoeKilla

Forgot to mention another buddy that camps on base with us killed a 14 mount with incredible mass in SA1 this year.
Was that Dave? I camp there off/on during the season and have see your group there. I don't think there's more than one group from Fl. Probably met you.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

That's crazy sound like the SA area's are where the super big deer are for a first time hunter on Fort AP Hill i'm looking for a big buck where should I start and how do i get into the SA area's and if i cant what are really go training areas to hunt in that have big deer and does the HILL have a trophy wall tell the deer points weight and area killed ? where are the SA areas located at on base ? can you hunt in the impact area on THE HILL Quantico doesnt allow you to are there deer on base that have 21 inch srpeads and bigger thats what im looking for with points and mass and weight around 130 to 140 and up
Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

QKidd....

You need to get out and scout. I would bet my last dollar that each training area has at least 1 130 class buck on it. And yes, the SA's have large deer on it because most border the impact area and the deer wonder over. Also, you can't hunt the impact area because of unexploded ordinance. I seriously doubt anyone on this board is going to point you to the area where they've seen or killed a nice buck.

AP Hill does keep an album with pics that usually list the area killed, don't know about weight. I would recommend you calling them or visiting them during turkey season. This time of year, the hunting operation is run mostly by mwr who don't know too much about the areas. The numbers are listed on their website: http://www.aphill.army.mil/sites/mwr/huntinginfo.asp

Gather all the info they give you, get your permit and take some nice long walks in the areas.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

I'm defiantly gonna spend some time down there I'm just very passionate about big whitetails i'm only 20 years old and already killed 3 big bucks that score 120 or better so I got a pretty good start know I'm adicted to finding some huge whitetials and sounds like the SA area'a are a good start I'm very excited about this upcoming fall especially for muzzerloader season what are the average body weights on AP Hill Quantico is about 110 to 115 for Mature Bucks dressed that is oh and just talked to the guy that killed the big 8 pointer that grossed 170 he killed it out of TA14 I'm not secretive about where I hunt or go I'm just out there to enjoy myself and if its meant to be then it will be
Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Spike

UFunny2, it was not Dave that killed either of them. The 16pt was killed by Teddy, and the 14pt by James. We do hunt with Dave and he comes down to Florida once a year to go fishing. I probably have met you if you stay at the campground on base. Last year I killed an 8pt with a 22 inch spread that scored between 120 and 130 rough score. And a 6pt with a 26.5 inch spread.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Spike

You could also try the Perimeter Stands. They actually go into the SA areas. Some of the PA stands are hot. Especially the ones around SA4 and SA5 if the ever open up the areas.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Sound's good what are the body weights on fort ap hill in Quantico if you kill a dressed 110 to 120 your doing something are the bucks bodys bigger on ap hill also I'm a bowhunter is bowhunting good on the hill I'm defiantly gonna go for early muzzerloader and shotgun but how about bowhunting there
Old 01-30-2009, 04:53 AM
Spike

Deer will be moving during bow season, it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. During the last week of bow alot of the smaller bucks start chasing some does. The bigger bucks usually start a week or so later. It's common to see 2 - 5 small bucks chasing 1 doe.

As for body weight it usually ranges from 95 to 125 dressed. Not much different than here in Florida. The average weight actually increased from last year to close to 120 lbs dressed. Two years ago the acorn crop was bad at the base.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Okay thats cool never saw multiple bucks chasing a doe before BIGDOE do you have any of the photos of the deer u shot off the base or of deer that have been killed off there in previous years send to my personal email [email protected] woudl appriacte it like to see what they look like

Quick Reply: Fort AP Hill Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.