Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 18 Yeaqr old girls, Pink hats, and HOGS!! >

18 Yeaqr old girls, Pink hats, and HOGS!!

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

18 Yeaqr old girls, Pink hats, and HOGS!!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default 18 Yeaqr old girls, Pink hats, and HOGS!!

I bet that got ya to look. Sorry daddy will not allow internet pics of his little girl (hear that Megan). Anyway we went up to commune with nature, gaze upon its splendor and kill it. WOOHOO HOG HUNTING ….with a little Bambi on the side.

I met John (P3FE) from the net here and he brought his son Josh, and his daughter Megan out to help me try to thin the pork population. I also took my slave labor that I use like a rented mule when he comes…that’s right it is Todd (T-Bare). Flow charts people flow charts crack em out. I arrived with a couple of hours to spare so that we could hang another hang on stand on a particularly good looking trail covered section that I have had my eye on. Todd proceeds to shimmy up tree and we get it hung in time to go get our folks from Jacksonville.

The wind was terrible for the Oaks stand but really good for everything else. I also made up a bucket of corn puke and spread it out on my favorite road. The interesting thing about the folks from Jax is that they wanted hogs but could care less about deer. Especially Josh. I got him salivating at the thought of shooting a big boar to hang on his wall. I tried to explain that the big boars taste somewhere between beef left out for a week in the sun but a little less tender but he did not mind. He also stated that he would have no problem dragging a 250 pound hog for a couple miles out of the swamp. AHHH youth, they can’t do it right once but they can do it wrong 6 times in 2 hours. I put him up the new stand and put daddy (John) and Megan in the swamp. Todd took the high end of the road stand. It was a very uneventful evening with almost dead calm and not a squeal one heard.

We went back to camp and I made a wild hog ham and put it on the fire with taters, carrots, and gravy. God I love those poor hogs. We tried for a night hunt but it was dark and absolute silent. Nothing grunting walking poking or squealing. Made it back to bed and had a good rest. Everyone but Josh went to their same stand because they were undisturbed. I put Josh on the corn puke in the road. I settled into the oaks in almost a blizzard like 55 degrees and prayed for sunlight to come warm me before I died from hypothermia. I am with Megan on this one; anything below 70 is damn cold.

The light was just beginning to peek through and I hear the thunder of hooves. I had a fairly big family group come in with a particular fat momma hog I have had my eye on for a while. She is white with black spots and is ALWAYS pregnant. When I say this I mean she never seems to give birth but is just always in a family way. I even had the time to turn around and place two more arrows from my quiver into easy reach and turned to wait for just a tad more light to take the shot. The wind was blowing on the right side of my face and then it shifted to the back of my neck. I can tell the deer hunters are starting to freak out my hogs because they did not just get nervous, they moved like a lit an M80 firecracker in the middle of them. They hauled pig butt so fast it just left me wondering why pig racing really has not caught on. Tip from Uncle Chris: Scent control does crap if you have been sweating the day before. Use the wind. So I settle in and wait for some more bacon and am happy to watch the doves and squirrels when I see a bobcat sneaking in for a kill. He has targeted a plump limb chicken and it is clueless. He made it to within 15 yards or so and the tree ninja knew something was wrong. Like a bolt he headed for a tree and the kitty revved up from zero to flash instantly. That poor little tree rat made it up the trunk about four feet when the bob kitty garb it and chewed its face off. It was over in seconds. Gross, yet cool to watch. Went back to the truck and John and Megan were there. They had six or seven 50ish pound pork bellies come in and feed but they wanted a big one. I did my best impersonation of the AFLAC duck when he filled up his car in the commercial. “HHHAAAAUUAAAAEEE!!! THOSE ARE WHAT WE ARE AFTER!”. Oh well they wanted a big one and I could give them grief later. No one else had seen anything.

We fed the feeders and changed the game cam cards and everyone took a wee nap or putzed around waiting for the last evening hunt. I put Megan and dad in the oaks stand because I have three male hogs that travel together going 150 to 180ish in there and they like the evening. I was hoping they were going to get a crack at them. Josh went swamp and Todd went to the road and corn puke. I took the the end of the road ground blind because I did not want to get out of my bathrobe and smoking jacket from the little nap. I settled in to the chair and leaned my head back at 3:00 p.m. I awoke at 4:15 because my snoring woke me. OK I AM READY NOW! I was awake for about 20 minutes and BOOM, cannon goes off and I think it was from the swamp stand. I am sitting and thinking “ok they will get pushed here” and I was right. The first hog goes 150 to 160ish and is a big stinky black boar. As you all know I am a baby killer when it comes to porky so he got a free ride. He ate some corn and his twin shows up and feeds with him. I am sitting there whishing I could teleport someone else in the stand that would shoot but Star Trek stuff is pretty far into the future. They eat and amble off. Maybe 30 minutes later BOOM from the direction of the oaks stand, 30 minutes after that “pop” (Todd can’t handle big guns) comes from the road with corn puke. I am thinking “sheesh there is going to be some gutting to do now”. It is getting dark and I go up the road.

Megan and dad are there and the boom from the oaks was not them but Josh bagged a PERFECT dipping size sow. She goes maybe 20ish pounds and will be perfect in a casserole dish. I ask where is Josh and John tells me he went with Todd cause John shot Bambi’s mom. I putter around and find a cup with the words “shot a deer need help tracking”. So off I am to go find a deer. Here is where it gets interesting.

As some may have read I had shot a deer about a month ago that I DESTROYED its internal organs and no blood. When I arrived Josh was convinced that it was a “swing and a miss”. I have this irritating habit of continually questioning people about their shot. “How did you feel about the placement”, “which direction did it go”, “how did it react to the shot”, “placement: good up, down, side to side”. I do not ask these questions to try to drive you nuts I am trying to jog your memory. I was just about to throw in the towel when Todd said “the deer walked away”. Deer do not walk they run when you shoot at them. Then moment of the shot is not them time to go crazy, watch, listen, and think of what you have just seen the animal do. It will help you later. At that moment I knew he hit it. I then tracked the deer by the tracks till I noticed it was running on three legs.. I read on this site and other that a deer with a broken leg has a hard time going over a hill or earth berm so I figured it would skirt the berm. We spread out and did a row to row search and found the deer 106 yards later. He took out the lungs clipped the liver a severed its heart from it body. It still ran 100+ yards. Deer are tough. Read what you can and really try to learn to track critters and it will help you a lot.

We ended with a deer and a pig. Not bad but they are really under pressure at the lease right now. Still a lot of fun.

and now the obligatory photo.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 PM

Default RE: 18 Yeaqr old girls, Pink hats, and HOGS!!

great story snook, hey if you are not a writer you really should be!!! Very well written