Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Coyotes in Fairfax/NOVA (Picture Added) >

Coyotes in Fairfax/NOVA (Picture Added)

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Coyotes in Fairfax/NOVA (Picture Added)

Old 12-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Coyotes in Fairfax/NOVA (Picture Added)

Got a pic of a healthycoyoteoff of my game cam today. Has anyone ever seen orheard of sightings of yotes in Fairfax before?It is a pretty urbanized county and I was quite surprised. I know they can adapt to urban environmentsand what not but I've never seen one in this area before. Needless to say, my buddy and I were beside ourselves today when we saw the picture.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyotes in Fairfax/NOVA

VA, I started seeing coyotes in Prince William 5 years ago. I have seen them every year since and the last 3 years they have come within bow range. It is a growing population and you have to think...the lower end of Fairfax, the Clifton area has a good amount of hardwoods so I believe they could live with no problem in those areas.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:41 PM

Go find the thickest nastiest cover you can find.Im in southwest virginia and they love cut overs,overgrown clearcuts,they travel alot but the love the cover
Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VA5326

Got a pic of a healthy coyote off of my game cam today (will post tomorrow). Has anyone ever seen or heard of sightings of yotes in Fairfax before? It is a pretty urbanized county and I was quite surprised. I know they can adapt to urban environments and what not but I've never seen one in this area before. Needless to say, my buddy and I were beside ourselves today when we saw the picture.

Ol' yote is hell on house cats. I honestly don't mind a few of them being around.... you give a few turkeys and fawns and save countless hundreds of quail, birds and rabbits from the pasture panthers.....problem is there is hardly ever a 'few'.... they are like cock roaches... if you see ONE... then you probably got 50.

Issues come when they start pickin' off livestock (chickens and guineas) and interbreeding with displaced mongrel hunting dogs that wander aimlessly this time of year because their owners are too trifling to train their dogs and too cheap to buy collars (yes it happens... flame away). Coy dogs are down right dangerous.... especially to kids.... plenty enough deer around NOVA to go round.

My godfather shot one in goochland on the last day of deer season in the 02-03 hunting year. And I know of one that got clipped on Parham Road right near Rt 1 (in front of Brookland Middle School) in Richmond back in the late 1990's. A friend's house cat got picked off by one out in Hunton area of Henrico as well. They've been around... just getting more and more prolific.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never seen them in Fairfax before, but like Shadow mentioned, Clifton is a lot of hardwoods and I wouldn't be surprised if they could flourish there, who's to shoot them, 99% of all hunters in Fairfax are using bows and 'yotes are sneaky. We've seen them in PWC for years though...
Old 12-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

My buddy hasn't given me the picture yet, butI hunt a small piece of woodsfurther north than the Clifton area its close to Dulles and 28.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Abuddy of mine who is a K-9 Officer had thought his dog had escaped one night when he got home from going out but it ended up being a coyote. He call Animal Control and reported it. They said they have had reports and confirmed sightingsof them and are actively trying to catch them around his location (Fairfax Station). It doesn't surprise me at all especially since we saw a 300 pound black bear this summer in my neighborhood in Centreville.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: flips2

It doesn't surprise me at all especially since we saw a 300 pound black bear this summer in my neighborhood in Centreville.
I heard about that.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Pic has been added to the intial post.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:50 PM

that's a big yote too

Quick Reply: Coyotes in Fairfax/NOVA (Picture Added)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.