Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms >

Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms

Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms

This is a case that happened earlier this year, not the same situation as Tyler's dog. He was charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty for shooting the dogs. http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=600&sid=1353497
Old 12-13-2008, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

The Code of Virgnina can be found on the VA State Police website. The Code section you are looking for is 3.2-6570 Cruelty to animals. It is a class 1 misdemenor to kill or injure an animal. If its a second offense in 5 years,or a companion animal, its a class 6 felony. Now i don't know what the court thinks a companion animal is but i don't think its a hunting dog. Also, its not illegal to defend your animals or livestock by deadly force if a dog is attacking your animals.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jerrrrstanley

The Code of Virgnina can be found on the VA State Police website. The Code section you are looking for is 3.2-6570 Cruelty to animals. It is a class 1 misdemenor to kill or injure an animal. If its a second offense in 5 years,or a companion animal, its a class 6 felony. Now i don't know what the court thinks a companion animal is but i don't think its a hunting dog. Also, its not illegal to defend your animals or livestock by deadly force if a dog is attacking your animals.
I had heard, in wake of the Vick case, that killing a dog in VA is now a felony. I'm unsure of on what level. I'm sure hokie man knows.

As to defending livestock, in western states, its common knowledge and practice that a dog that chases livestock or horses is dead and doesn't know it yet. As to VA, I'm not 100% on what the law is... but when it comes to defending yourself I'm sure the law will be on your side as long as you are honestly defending yourself or a third party.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the guys I hunt with said that it's now a felony to kill a dog. However, I'm not sure if it is in all cases or just some. I assume he knows what he is talking about as he usually does.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's horrible. I deer hunt w/ dogs in Central VA on a friends hunt club and I keep and own 8 rabbit dogs and no one should shoot someone elses dog in a situation like that. If my rabbit beagles run onto someone elses property, I try and retreive them as quickly as possible. I know deer dogs can run a long way out but my buddies who run them run tracking collars on them and all the clubs around them are polite w/ each other and catch each others dogs if they run over there and call and return them as quickly as possible.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thats a horrible situation, to have to tell your son someone has done something like that. You try to teach your kids the values in hunting and then you have people that do stuff like that..... i hope the person who did this does not have children and if they do i hope they dont find out that a parent did something like that.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:24 PM

Killing a kids hunting dog is almost as bad as hunting deer with dogs, that sucks. I have no use for hunting deer with dogs. I have had too many hunters on my land, drunk, running their trucks up and down the road like maniacs, leaving their dogs to roam around, etc. Even had one tell me one time "you damn landowners think you own everything and can tell us what to do." Don't shoot a kids dog, but outlaw deer hunting with dogs tomorrow. IMHO.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kendradad

Killing a kids hunting dog is almost as bad as hunting deer with dogs, that sucks. I have no use for hunting deer with dogs. I have had too many hunters on my land, drunk, running their trucks up and down the road like maniacs, leaving their dogs to roam around, etc. Even had one tell me one time "you damn landowners think you own everything and can tell us what to do." Don't shoot a kids dog, but outlaw deer hunting with dogs tomorrow. IMHO.
Just because you have a hunters in your area that don't act like they should doesn't mean all of them that hunt with dogs act like that. Infact, I know several guys that hate hunting with dogs and only still hunt that should not be allowed to own a gun much less hunt. They give still hunting a bad rep just like a few bad dog hunters give all dog hunters a bad rep. Just because their are a few like that it doesn't mean that they all are.

If you don't like hunting with dogs no reason you should have to do it. However, it shouldn't be outlawed and the ones who do enjoy it should not have to suffer for it.

Another thing I will say is I don't know very many still hunters that don't bait the deer. IMO that's worse than hunting with dogs. It's also illegal here which I'm sure to let them all know it's illegal and how I feel about it. It seems like they don't follow the laws any more than dog hunters do and most of them seem to break more laws.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:35 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: kendradad

Getting "your kind" out of hunting all together would be a plus to the hunting community. Just because you do not agree with tradition of other hunters should not mean that type of hunting should be outlawed. GEES talk about selfish, this is a prime example!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

If I see a dog on my property, I usually try to go catch it and check for a collar or some other identification. If there is none I take it to the vet and give it to him. On the other hand, if there is no collar and the dog is clearly showing aggression towards me, then all bets are off. Boom, game over.

Quick Reply: Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.